How to start a Pearl Farm

I've just downloaded it to my Kobo and will be looking forward to reading it when I get some spare time. Thanks Caitlin!

Since I seem to have mastered ant farming (those pesky critters come into my house every spring) maybe I can master pearl farming too! Somehow, though I think this actually much more difficult than an ant farm!

Last edited:
Hey! This is great stuff and will answer many questions we get. Thanks! :)

I stickied it, since there was only one other stickied thread in Pearl Farming. :)

Oh wow! Look what I found! I was browsing, looking for Pearl Farming for Landlubbers, or something. I'm bumping it, because we have so many new people. I'd forgotten so much of the article, it's a good refresher.

Thanks a lot, Caitlin. I am just in need of such a book. Such great material, feel like back to school.

Can anyone tell me what species is this olive color in the middle representing in Figure 4 on page 13? The denotation is very blurry. I get the yellow and the green, but not this olive.
Screenshot 2021-04-01 120249.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2021-04-01 120249.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.3 KB ID:	451578

Table 2 in appendix is screwed. That's one of the most important parts, because it's the table of costs. :(

Last edited:
Thanks a lot, Caitlin. I am just in need of such a book. Such great material, feel like back to school.

Can anyone tell me what species is this olive color in the middle representing in Figure 4 on page 13? The denotation is very blurry. I get the yellow and the green, but not this olive.

Table 2 in appendix is screwed. That's one of the most important parts, because it's the table of costs. :(

Several species can be found in that particular area StarryPearl
  • Silver-Lipped
  • Black-lipped
  • Akoya
  • Mabe-gai
But you always have to head to the particular location and examine the waters for the species. Sometimes predators or overfishing will have removed all pearl oysters in an area, but you can still find some nearby and use those to repopulate.

Sorry I can't help with the tables :(

Hey JerseyPearl great to hear about the "Ant Farm" :05:

Back