How to attach pearls to a tassel?

KatalinPG

This is my first post here on the lowly beaders forum, so please bear with me...
I'm a long time lurker, and I am really fascinated from all of your designs, your creativity and your skills. I am really inspired, and would like to make something for myself.
My first attempt would be a tassel, as I'm in love for a long time with the Tiffany pearl rope with the tassel. I already have a rope, but I need a tassel. I could buy something similar, but why buy, if DIY is so much fun.

I found a tassel cap on Etsy:
tassel.jpg

This is the bottom side:
tassel bottom.jpg

This is almost like the Tiffany one, and I am really happy with it. My only problem is, that i don't know, how to attach the pearls to a tassel like that. I know how to do it with tassels, which has a whole on the top, but I haven't found any tutorial for a tassel like that. I would be really grateful, if someone could give me a link to a tutorial, or even give me an idea.
I appreciate every idea, so please, just give me some! :)

Thanks for asking this. Unfortunately I have no insight to provide, but I would love to know if anyone else does. I will await an answer with ya!

Wouldn't you just loop each tassel strand around parts of the cross bar? Then tuck the final knot up inside the finding.

Wouldn't you just loop each tassel strand around parts of the cross bar? Then tuck the final knot up inside the finding.

Yesterday evening before I fall asleep I was making up my mind about it, and I also thought, that I could just know every strand around the cross. I'm just afraid, that at the last strands it is going to be quite hard. And I'm also afraid, that the thread would break on the metall cross after a time. What kind of thread should I use?

Use gimp to go around the cross bar, like you would on a clasp. That protects the thread from rubbing against the metal crossbar.

You could also do 4 mini tassels and then connect the four of them in each section, which might make it easier.

For the pearl tassel I made, I had a similar setup (except instead of a cross bar inside the cap, I had wire cris-crossing and attached the tassels to it). I just threaded the pearls onto the thread, looped it over one of the wires, then threaded back down through the pearls in the opposite direction and made a little knot at the bottom. It's not a knotless method, but it would work on this type of cap. If you use something like Power Pro, the thread should be ok with some rubbing against the metal, I would think (though gimp is a great suggestion too).

battah, BWeaves - thank you for your ideas! I To use a gimp is really a good idea, but as it is my first project, I'm afraid its going to exceed my abilities. :)
I think, Im going to try the "loop it over the cross, and thread back down" method. Im going to try to find PowerPro, but its not going to be easy in Europe. I already ordered the tassel, and I'm going to order the seed pearls on Monday. It's going to take 2-3 weeks until everything gets to me, but I'll keep you updated!

The gimp part should be easy. Just cut a small bit and thread it on like a bead, when you know the thread is going to go around a crossbar.

Good luck! I think Fireline would probably be just as good, and I think it's available in the UK?

Thanks to all of you for the advice. I already found PowerPro on Etsy, and ordered it! I may even try to knot after my first project! I have a few pearls to practice on!
And battah, yes, you are right, fireline I can get also in Europe, even in Austria. I was really surprised to find an online shop, which carried it! I can't wait my items to arrive, and give it a try!

Katalin, I have no advice for tassels, but wanted to also mention Beaders Secret thread ... wonderful thread that comes in several sizes and many many colors. Strong, smooth, durable and easy to work with; it's sold by one of our friends here on Pearl-Guide: Pattye. She has an Etsy shop, and she's very helpful :)

CathyKeshi thank you, I've red about Beaders Secret, but 12.5 € shipping cost is just not worth it! Almost everything ships for that price from USA to Europe! With bigger items it's ok but with thread it's just too much. Unfortunately I haven't found any retailer in Europe!

Ah, yes, shipping costs are a big challenge, Katalin. I think Pattye is the only dealer for Beaders Secret. We run into the same issue here, bringing in things from Europe. I'm sure you'll have great success with your beading projects ... can't wait to see your progress :)

CathyKeshi - my progress depends strongly on the sleeping pattern of my one-year-old daughter! :) Let's hope, she naps long after my pearls and tassel cap arrived! :D

Oh, yes ... thank goodness for naps :) I remember clearly the day I realized my daughter wasn't going to take naps anymore ... Right now I have my 9 year old grandson visiting ... no naps LOL.

Ohhh naps. My almost-two-year-old seems like he wants to drop his naps soon, but nooooo. Naptime is the best <3

Lady Disdain- thank you I may try it with Patty!
Regarding Power Pro in fishing shops: in Austria they don't have it. I found a shop in Germany, and guess the shipping costs??? 8 € for a 5.4 € item!!! I mean we are neighbor countries, why are the shipping costs so high! So I wrote them an email, if they could send me in an envelope with only 60 m, and got a rude answer. Incredible!! So I found an etsy shop which sold me with no shipping costs. Should arrive beginning of July! But thank you for the tip with eBay Katbran!

Back