how can swp be so irregular?

L

linda-lee

Hi guys,happy to find a forum like this--the forum is great.
I just saw a strand of black pearls in a department store in London with the price of 2400 GBP. The attendent explained to me the price indicates they are cultured salt-water pearls.To my knowledge that SWP are very round because they have a nucleau in them.But those pearls are irregular in shape sizing 12-16 mm.Are they really SWPs? Besides, is the black colour natural? How can one tell that? Thanks.

This question is a little difficult to answer without actually seeing the pearls, but the price should not be your definitive value factor for a strand of pearls. I can tell you by the size that the pearls are definitely not cultured Akoya saltwater pearls. The pearls are either freshwater (of low value), or Tahitian, of higher value. Tahitian pearls and freshwater pearls look very different. If the pearls look like the photo that I have attached, they are Tahitian pearls, and of a good value. We sell these strands for $4-$800 each. If they do not look like this (more baroque and potato shaped) they are freshwater pearls. A low-quality strand of freshwater pearls will not cost more than $3-$500 retail.

Attachments

• Baroque-Pearlguide.JPG
    Baroque-Pearlguide.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
If the pearls are not Tahitian, the color is not naturally black either. Some Tahitian pearls may be dyed as well, but this is a bit more rare.
Akoya and freshwater pearls are NEVER naturally black.

Back