Help! "How to" seed pearls?

mausketeer

I want to string my tiny Cortez pearls - plan to do them as a seed pearl necklace with knots only between the last 6 or 4 pearls. Not sure how to proceed? Obviously I won't need five lengths of thread. Maybe two? I don't have gymp either for my clasp (soldered gold jump rings). Do I need to make sure the pearls are tight together anyways in the main part (where they touch with no knots between)? Or maybe a bit loose? Can anyone give me a very brief rundown on what would be different than a regular necklace with all knots?

Thanks so much!

Jodie

I've recently done a seed pearl strand and definitely did a few things different. First tried using power pro but there was no weight to the strand for a nice drape so used silk. I knotted the last 5 pearls and had to leave the rest a little loose so there were no kinks. A bit of trial and error is needed but the result was good.
Good luck!

I agree from having strung other beads without knots, that it helps to have a tiny bit of slack so the strand hangs nicely.

I did a few recently as well. Agreed with the above, I only knotted at the ends for security, and used Beader's Secret rather than Power Pro for some drape. You definitely have to play with it a little bit and not pull the knots too tight so it drapes nicely, but also make sure it isn't gappy. I'm loving seed pearl necklaces - so dainty and pretty!

I've been wondering about this. I have 3 strands of FW seed pearls and some small tourmaline beads that are almost the same size. I have been wanting to do a multi-strand choker type necklace with the seed pearls mixing in some of the beads. I have 3 strands of the pearls, so I think I will do 1 strand with 3 pearls, then a bead; one with 5 pearls, then a bead; and one with 7 pearls and then a bead. Or maybe that one with 3 beads then 5 pearls. Something to mix it up a bit!!

I think I will try it now. Anyone have any other combo suggestions?

I like the combos you listed! I would just be sure to knot between the tourmalines and the seed pearls. That kind of gives you a logical place to put knots without knotting the whole thing, and would separate them a little bit.

Please post pics when you're done, sounds pretty!

I use beading wire to temporarily string different combinations. I think up combinations and then they often don't thrill me once they are on the wire, so I find myself doing it several times until I am satisfied (and making a mess). Your ideas sound great so far. :)

Ooh, thanks so much everyone! I will be using Beaders Secret as the Power Pro I had originally purchased was too fine to be secure (I bought five pound test). The drape aspect is helpful, thanks...... I have too many projects right now!

Jodie

Back