grandmas pearls

jindo

IMG_20120623_182621.jpg

can some one tell me what kind these are and if they worth any thing
these are my grandmas pretty sure they were bought between 1930 late 30s and 1940

Welcome jindo!

We need a bit more information to give our opinions. I'm quoting from this thread:

https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5827

Hello and welcome. If you're hoping to identify some pearls, members here are happy to assist. In order to help us help you, we ask you to please include the following information in your first post:

Whether the pearls feel gritty or smooth when rubbed against your teeth or when you rub two against each other;
The dimensions of your item, including length, width (if applicable) and size of the pearls;
Description of any stamps or markings on the clasp, e.g., 14k, 585, letters or logos;
Shape of the pearls, e.g., round, off-round, egg, potato, button
Whether the pearls all look exactly alike or if there are differences from pearl to pearl;
Description of the surface of the pearls, e.g., smooth, dimpled;
If the item is from eBay or an online vendor, the seller or vendor's name or a link to the item, if possible.

We also need pictures of the item, including close-ups of individual pearls. You can read tips for photographing pearls in the thread Taking pictures of pearl jewelry.

Thank you. We look forward to seeing your pearls!

grandmas pearl

grandmas pearl

They do feel gritty when u rub them across ur teeth or rub them together .
They are round in shape .
They seem to feel very heavy.
On the claps the only thing im able to see .....i think it say japan
the claps it self i think is copper or silver it has tarnished

Hi Jindo and welcome,

If the paper with the strand says "simulated" that means they are imitation pearls, not cultured pearls. They may be in very good condition and were obviously treasured by your Grandmother. Imitation pearls were not inexpensive back then either.

More photos would help us confirm that the pearls match the box and card.

Thank you i dont no any thing about pearl wasnt sure if they were real or not i was told simulated ment man stuck some thing in clam...ect. to make the pearl .....im learning alot from this site

Welcome to the site!

Simulated = imitation, cultured = human interference by planting something in the pearl oyster etc., natural = as nature intended. That's how I understand it.

DK :)

But even though they are imitation, they are pretty and they are sentimental-- and a perfectly good fashion accessory.

Jackie Kennedy's famous 3 strand pearl necklace was imitation, as was Barbara Bush's necklace-- pricey imitations made for them by Kenneth Jay Lane.

Just to put a period to the question, does the card say "simulated" or "cultured"?

I really like the clasp!

ty .... i would never part with them ...im just afraid to wear them, don't no much about pearls. i got them when i turned 18 ....few yr ago ...lol ...
so i tryed to have them looked at but cant find pearl appraiser

Well, they're lovely, and the knotting looks good, so you ought to feel comfortable wearing them. If they're cold against your cheek they could be pretty good fakes.

There's a how to clean your pearls thread that should tell you how to clean the necklace, and just keep an eye on the thread for signs of 'wear' like fraying and sagging. At that point you might want to restring them. Enjoy!

The reason they're heavy is that imitation pearls typically have a glass bead inside-- and glass beads are heavier than shell beads that are used in cultured pearls.
Besides, two strands are a lot of pearls!

Enjoy wearing them!

Thank you so much .....i am learning alot from this site .....pearls one of my favorites

Back