Gemandpearlover's Lowly Beading Adventures

Fascinating! I'd never heard of the Haserot angel.

Those are unusually nice dyed FWP. I would have assumed they were Tahitians.

My husband would love that necklace. The SKULLS. I like it, too. I've never heard of the Haserot angel before, either.

This thread, it just keeps getting better and better! I’d never heard of the Haserot Angel either, but wow! That’s a moving sculpture, powerful and beautiful. I wonder if trains run there from Pittsburgh, I bet they do.

oh, this is exciting, Amtrak of course! goes to Cleveland, the capitol express, which is a lovely comfortable train. Oh, something to think about.

Gemandpearlover, I have just now stumbled on this thread. How fun! You created some great pieces. I have always liked the colors in pondslime pearls but have yet to buy any. I’ll have to keep an eye out... Looking forward to seeing more of your projects since there’s a lot more winter left.;)

Thanks for the conversation, Jenny!
This one thread has been thought-provoking as well as beautiful. Why still love white pearls? Light. When you need light, when days are gloomy, when you want sunshine around your neck and twinkles of light from your ears, when you crave light - white! And in the summer, when you want to revel in the light, or if it’s too hot, icicle white.

The creativity on this site is awesome!

Thanks for the conversation, Jenny!
This one thread has been thought-provoking as well as beautiful. Why still love white pearls? Light. When you need light, when days are gloomy, when you want sunshine around your neck and twinkles of light from your ears, when you crave light - white! And in the summer, when you want to revel in the light, or if it’s too hot, icicle white.

The creativity on this site is awesome!

Love this, thanks for expanding my perspective. I don’t write all the time, but I definitely enjoy to see and read about so many creative projects. I’m so thankful for all the wisdom of this forum.
Happy 2020 :)

I tell you what, you guys are brilliant! Every time a new notice pops up here I think “oh, ho ho, mon ami”, like that French character, but be darned if I can remember from where, film or tv? I’m showing my age here, but it’s a male voice, baritone, full of knowing delight and satisfaction. Anybody else remember this?

Anyway, always interesting people and good conversation ahead over here. Many thanks!

So, gemsandpearls, what’s new with you? What’re you wearing for New Year’s?

Last edited:
Love the Haserot strand - pearls made edgy!
Maybe there’s something in that idea for the white pearls - mix them with something unconventional (like the lighting bolts or skulls or insects or pave black hearts from beadsfeeder on Etsy) to make them a bit less formal and more interesting? I agree, by the way, about Tahitians being infinitely more fascinating, and you have some lovely freshwaters.

Thank you Pearl Dreams, BWeaves, Charlotta, Lisa C, Jeg, and Sydk. :) For New Years I wore my white pearl strands. I have decided that they are my Christmas and New Year pearls. I thought about it and the reason I find fault with these strands is that I compared them to my two white ropes. One rope has lovely overtones of lavender and pink and the other has overtones of rose and green that shimmer on the surface.

I did take time to restore the length of my Wilma Tahitian necklace. I put back one pearl that was original to the strand and added a bright green/gold pearl. Both pearls were added at the clasp. I also replaced two pearls on my button Tahitian strand. I absolutely hate “orange peel” skin on Tahitian pearls and two pearls on my button strand had a bit of that going on- so off they went.

Right now I am interested in metallic pearls and lavender pearls. I hope to have something to show you guys soon. So off to Patricia Saab Designs for more supplies.

That’s the truth! The sheer quality of the white pearls available to us, today, is amazing!

That’s the truth! The sheer quality of the white pearls available to us, today, is amazing!

I so agree Lisa. I think I became interested in pearls at the right time. I love variety and there are so many different types of pearls being sold by online vendors which fit almost every budget. For those of you who have been collecting for years I can only imagine how exciting it was to see the freshwater bead nucleated pearls come out. From flameballs, to ripples, to smooth skinned white pearls and dark purple pearls. What a time to love pearls!

I have. a. lot. of. white. pearls........

So I took another unworn strand of big white pearls and put some pastel Edisons in the front last night. Wearing it with a rope of smaller white pearls. The rope is knotted very tightly. I. will. love. my. white. pearls........

IMG_3594.jpg

Gemandpearlover, I have a lot of white pearls, too, and I love them, really, but I never wear any of them. I think because I associate them with formal occasions. I don’t know anyone among my circle of friends who wears pearls, although I’m certain they all have a strand of akoyas tucked away and rarely worn.

I hear you Parrot Lady and Bweaves. So much love for white pearls but sometimes loved at a distance. I have been working with metallic FWPs and hope to have some good pictures to show you guys soon. I have noticed that when the weather is warm I am all about salt water pearls. But when it turns cold I love my freshwaters. I have been on a metallic FW spending spree and hope to start a ban for at least a couple of months.

I bought a pre-loved FW 9-10mm mostly metallic strand and restrung it with lilac Beader's Secret. The seller was super nice when I was on the fence about buying it because originally I wanted bigger pearls. In the end I couldn't resist it both due to the price and how pretty the strand was. So I made a choker with little pink metallic FW potato pearls to wear with it for more presence. I only knotted the last three end pearls on the potato pearl choker.

IMG_3628.jpg

Your new strands looks pretty Gemandpearllover, lilac Beaders secret looks great with the pearls.

Thanks Charlotta. I have been admiring your recent creations. I love the way you mix color and shapes to create unique and beautiful strands. The latest necklace was originally created by Cathrine Cardinelli. I left the arrangement of pearls just the way she had placed them. I like the way she had grouped a few lavender pearls together in the front. My initial inclination would be to break up the colors so I learned that sometimes groups of color on a strand can have a very pretty effect.

Next week- lavender pearls. Lots and lots of all nacre lavender pearls.

It's like when you plan a flowerbed, it gets better inpact to plant groups of flowers than to scatter them everywhere. I love playing with pearls, rearranging them on the beading board and creating something pretty that I will wear out of seldom worn pieces. Sometimes I don't like them and then I have to start over again.

Back