freshwater vs saltwater pearl growth rates in relation to nacre density and value

Mostawesomecoffee

Community member
I have been told that saltwater pearls and freshwater pearls are of equal value, all else being equal. I.e., for the same size and level of grade, the saltwater pearl will be as valuable as the freshwater pearl. I was told that what matters is not whether the pearl comes from salt or freshwater mollusks, but rather, the overall quality of the pearl. This conflicts with something that I read. I've read that freshwater pearls grow more quickly than saltwater pearls since the layers of nacre deposited are not as dense as those found in saltwater pearls. It does seem, from what I've read, that freshwater pearls grow at about 4-5x the rate of salt water pearls.

So, is the nacre in freshwater pearls less dense than that found in saltwater pearls? Does this affect value? thanks.

Freshwater pearl nacre is more porous and does grow faster than akoya pearl nacre. All things being equal, whether or not the pearl is freshwater or saltwater definitely makes a difference in value. Saltwater pearls cost more than freshwater pearls. Saltwater pearls are many times more difficult to produce and only one to two pearls are produced per shell (depending on the type). Freshwater mussels grow up to 32 pearls per shell.

Back