Free Form Pearl - Chinese Fresh Water? Value?

MMQC

I have a pearl that I would like to know the name of and a general value.
The dimensions are 40mmx25mmx6mm.

Attachments

• pearl.jpg
    pearl.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 30
Free Form Pearl - Chinese Fresh Water? Value?

I would like to identify this pearl and determine a general value if possible.
A friend wants to buy it from me but I don't know what it is worth.

Attachments

• pearl.jpg
    pearl.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 44
Hi MMQC,
It's a baroque freshwater pearl. 40mm is a big size, peach colour is interesting, but pearl looks a little dull, as the most number of these kinds of pearls. About value, if it's money you want to speak, that is not very expensive, against other pearls, specially those brighter, round and saltwater origin, but is it important ? To like pearls is for all as for one, and this one would please to a lot of people wich like the greatest quality also.

Last edited:
Given the shape I wonder if there is a square bead inside. A kind of flameball pearl with a square bead instead of a round one.

Since you own it, presumably you know what you paid for it...? Perhaps you can use that a a guide for how much to charge your friend.

Thank you for the information. I bought this so long ago that I have no idea what I paid and I don't want to overcharge my friend. I saw prices anywhere from $135 to $240 for this size online but that is retail and I just was looking for a wholesale price that would be fair. Thanks for any info you might have.

pearl necklace.jpg
Not sure if this additional picture actually attached. Too new to this site. But I believe the first picture didn't capture the luster as much as it should have.

If you want the value of the single large pearl...they aren't all that expensive. Certainly looks like a square 'coin' pearl. The whole necklace would be worth ... well whatever you paid for it less a substantial percentage as it's a used/preowned piece. The single pearl might be anywhere from 10-30$ depending on how blemish free it is and how good the overall lustre is. . 30$ would be a very very generous amount wholesale.
The prices you mention would not be for a coin pearl...that would be ridiculously high.

The necklace is very pretty and is worth much more than the single pearl. Are you selling the whole necklace or just the one pearl? I was thinking the pearl by itself was worth about $20.

Pearls cost go up as you move up the food chain . The farm, the factory , the wholesalers, the traders, the retailers ..each add on their profit . The farther up the chain ..the higher the price. Plus you have currency exchange and duty to consider. The price I gave was from stands at the show ..so that will be my cost ..if I sell it on then that price does go up. But retail prices are hard to predict ..I’ve seen lots of vendors selling a 20$ Pearl for 80$ . So many factors enter in to setting the price.

Sure, Katbran, price is going up each time supplie moves, from farmer to final customer... It's true for everythings, even for a potato I'm looking to grow from my own window : I know that I'll buy it ten times the price of farmer sale... In France, it's one of our greatest problems. I should had wanted to go to last show, but it's earlier for me, and, as I can carve only one, sometimes two pearls a day, because it take a long time to do, not sure that such a travel will be profitable, at last, not so much than for standart pearl sellers. Just I should be able to choise pearls I want to work, and it's so important than all else. So, I must spend many time to hunt pearls on webstores, and sometimes I loose my money to do, sometimes I get good surprises, a game wich not enjoys me... Well, to coming back our subject, I have seen such 40mm baroque sizes, but much better quality, it's true, selled 45 dollars per piece on Alibaba, in wholesale. With shipping, 60 dollars at home, unless to buy a big number (wich don't interest me).

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the feedback. Very helpful. Yes, I am selling her the whole necklace, not just the large pearl, but I felt that was the one part of the necklace that would be the most expensive and dictate the price.

Back