Found salt water

Bill e

Hello 'Pearls of Wisdoms',

Only one pearl up for viewing and feedback if you could, please.

Found a month ago in a wild secluded oyster bed, Atlantic. Eastern Canada seaboard.

4.5 grams. Nice internal swirls, looks uniformly round.

Will include two pictures.

Appreciate any feedback, ideas, theory's...reference direction.

cheers and good day,

Bill e

pearlphoto (3).jpgpearlphoto (2).jpg

Did you find this in an oyster bed or from inside of an oyster? It doesn't really look like a pearl to me.

Thanks kindly for the reply.

It was found in an oyster bed, far from shore, hard to walk to and usually under water. No it was not in an oyster. It, whateverit iswould have been subjected to wear and scuffing from the wave and sand scrubbing over how many years/months it has been there or on it's ocean journey.

I thought it a marble at first, but seems too light. Where does the pearl go when an oyster finally dies? One would think it would simply fall from the shell.
Costume jewelery? very symmetrical. Somebody playing a prank?

It has been taken to a gem shop where a senior member deemed it a pearl and interesting enough to have it looked at, x-rayed and brought to further experts, early August.

Is there an easy DIY test one could do to determine it a pearl or composite?
Those that have bit it say ''pearl'', but what do I know and that is why I have come here, to learn and interact with those that know these wonders intimately.

All the best,

Bill e

Thanks Pattye,

Wonder if displaying on a black cloth would show it up better for picture ID? Could it be costume?

Not knowing, have to ask, why does it not look like a pearl, what are the give aways? 70 grains is about the 4.5 grams so the ''google'' says, pretty big.

And that was a legit question earlier, what happens to a pearl when an oyster dies? I was a free diver for years and dove over many a shell fish bed. Always a grave yard down there, the dead shells scattered all about with the live.

What test can an amateur do?

Thanks, all the best,

Bill e

It doesn't look nacreous to me either. It looks porcelainish or something like that. And remarkably perfectly round for a natural pearl.
Bill e, you could try the basic test of rubbing it gently against your teeth. It should feel just a little rough - a fake pearl or something not pearl will feel smooth.
It will also feel cool to the touch when first picked up but will warm up in contact with skin
Does it have any lustre?

Yes, Wendy there is luster... interesting tests, will update with results. Porcelain, hmmm.

Yes the perfect round has me suspicious, from the start.

Many thanks,

Bill e

Mortality would cause the pearl to decompose. The protein content would become rancid and stained. Over time, cracks would develop and entire pieces could fall away. Abrasion with the substrate would cause dents, scratches or pits.

Natural pearls are almost never perfectly round. This piece has features consistent with marble or alabaster.

There have been a few posters in the past, who have had similar stories. Although it could be anything, the only likelyhood I could infer is slingshot ammo.

Some years ago at an antique show my husband bought a white marble sphere that had an industrial use (but neither of us can remember exactly what the use was.)

Okay, I just measured it-- it's 27mm and quite a bit heavier than 4.5 grams, so probably not the same sort of item as what you have.

Last edited:
Very interesting posts, a whole new world.Appreciation out to all.

Maybe a boy in a boat with a sling shot... and a bag full of porcelain ammo. What does 'boy' do... what all boys did, start plunking away at birds.

"And look over there, Seagulls!"

Thus is placed this mystery orb in a bed of oysters.

It certainly is an interesting find. Take it where you can find a gemology/mineral science student to get a refractive index from the surface. That would set you on a path to figure out what it is. :)

The pearl test is just something you can do to narrow things down. Other materials may also have a gritty surface. Seriously, if you are near a college, take it to the geology department. Look up the local rockhound club. Try the American Federation of Mineralogical Society - http://www.amfed.org

Geology department, yes good idea; when we get close to one shall see who is around, summer hours.

Thanks, GG

Back