Finding Natural Pearls

Just curious, when you ship tissue samples overseas are you fixing in 95% ethanol or another solution? Relevant for my own tissue sample shipping.

The fix is a special preparation provided by the lab, specific to the purpose. There's no brand name per se, but I'll ask Ana about it's composition. However I do know a few things, though. It's not ethanol based. It's not formalin either, but somewhere along those lines (I suspect). Formalin compounds are not suitable for single cell preservation insomuch as stabilizing the connectivity of structures. I also know it's really, really expensive. And smelly.

I'll get back to you on that.

The fix is a special preparation provided by the lab, specific to the purpose. There's no brand name per se, but I'll ask Ana about it's composition. However I do know a few things, though. It's not ethanol based. It's not formalin either, but somewhere along those lines (I suspect). Formalin compounds are not suitable for single cell preservation insomuch as stabilizing the connectivity of structures. I also know it's really, really expensive. And smelly.

I'll get back to you on that.

Formalin or formaldehyde wouldn't work for us either and all the protocol I've seen say to fix in 95% ethanol, which is fine for stateside shipping. Would be good to have an alternative method. Thanks, Dave!

Those green pearls are amazing! Are they specific to your region, or are they found in other areas? They almost look like little chunks of emerald. Thanks so much for sharing!

Also known as jingles for their use in wind chime mobiles, this creature attaches to solid substrates like rocks, docks, and pilings, and can be found from the intertidal zone to a depth of 90 m. It's range stretches from the Bering Sea to Baja California and into the Sea of Cortez.

These little creatures break all the rules about how pearls form, how animals evolve and how we perceive things. For a very long time, field naturalists, scientists and authors thought the brilliant green color was algae infiltrated into the nearly transparent shells of this common marine invertebrate.

When I first discovered pearls buried deep within the tissues of this non-commercial species, it became readily apparent the algae theory was a myth. The presence of green pigments within the proteins of these tiny pearls originate from metabolic processes, not physical contact.

Not just that. These pearls defy commonality in onset, structure, translucency and color. Subsequent scanning electron microscopy (SEM) debunked the term "non-nacreous" by supporting evidence that all shell bearing mollusks and gastropods are indeed nacreous to some degree.

Those green pearls are amazing. Thank you for posting these videos, Dave.

Also known as jingles for their use in wind chime mobiles, this creature attaches to solid substrates like rocks, docks, and pilings, and can be found from the intertidal zone to a depth of 90 m. It's range stretches from the Bering Sea to Baja California and into the Sea of Cortez.

These little creatures break all the rules about how pearls form, how animals evolve and how we perceive things. For a very long time, field naturalists, scientists and authors thought the brilliant green color was algae infiltrated into the nearly transparent shells of this common marine invertebrate.

When I first discovered pearls buried deep within the tissues of this non-commercial species, it became readily apparent the algae theory was a myth. The presence of green pigments within the proteins of these tiny pearls originate from metabolic processes, not physical contact.

Not just that. These pearls defy commonality in onset, structure, translucency and color. Subsequent scanning electron microscopy (SEM) debunked the term "non-nacreous" by supporting evidence that all shell bearing mollusks and gastropods are indeed nacreous to some degree.

Truly I've learned something new! Thank you.

Dave, what is the average size of these little green beauties?

I have some 3-4mm. Like one sitting in the shell in the image above.

Most are micro tiny, but for little pearls they reveal big secrets :)

Attachments

• podo09.jpg
    podo09.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 27
Science makes me so happy ... those little tiny green pearls leave me giddy with delight and amazement ... as does the research! THANKS, Dave :)

Science makes me so happy ... those little tiny green pearls leave me giddy with delight and amazement ... as does the research! THANKS, Dave :)

Science makes me happy, too. Root Beer pearls make me effervescent with delight!!! ;)

I've never heard of root beer or green translucent pearls before. In the root beer pearl video, you point out a "small knobby". Do akoya oysters get those, too? One of my 1970s Sea World pearls has a hard silvery substance "stuck" to it; maybe it formed on the shell like that?

Back