Finding Natural Pearls

Lagoon Island Pearls

Most people may never experience the thrill of finding a natural pearl in their lifetimes. Here are a few videos that you may enjoy a part of my work too.

Finding a Natural Black Pearl

Last edited:
That's what I was just thinking. This is what finding a pearl really looks like.

Authentic, genuine, and so exciting ... fantastic, Dave! I am surprised at how large the mussels are.

Awesome! For how many molluscs did you have to film the opening process until you actually found one pearl live on camera?

Plus..can you eat the molluscs?

Not the ones near marinas or populated areas. I'll eat small mussels from remote reefs though.

Crab and prawn fishing is a popular pastime in the area. Crustaceans loooooove shellfish. I make frozen popsicles to put in their traps.

I've edited the videos for brevity, but everything collected is reused. Tissues are sent to labs where it's used to test for health and safety issues. Most shells are returned to the water to neutralize my carbon footprint or measured for thickness and growth rate analysis. This data is compared to archaeological shells cast ashore on the uplands and the rings of trees nearby. I'll retain shells with blisters or pearls attached. Occasionally, I'll do talks or walks for aquariums, schools and other youth groups and mix them with other shells, letting kids have a treasure hunt. It's adds fun to a learning experience by enabling their own curiosities through observation. Feeding bits of mussel meat to anemones or other creatures is also a fun, hands-on lesson of life in the intertidal zone. There's something very rewarding when youngsters report back to you after finding something, repeating what they learned earlier.

Targeted samples go to the paleontology and stratigraphy lab at the University of Granada, Spain. Namely microscopic clusters of pearls, where they are analyzed in association with the cellular structure their soft tissues. In this manner, we learn how pearl structures may be modified though incidental, seasonal or long term climate changes. Or how natural pearls come to be.

I have unedited video of several collection processes and will upload a few clips in the near future.

Attachments

• pearl_sac_samples.jpg
    pearl_sac_samples.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 30
Awesome! For how many molluscs did you have to film the opening process until you actually found one pearl live on camera?

Good question.

Over many years of observation and collection, I've determined natural pearls occur in limited patches. I return to these reefs on a sustainable rotation schedule, targeting specific sampling needs. Being self-regulated, I voluntarily comply with the same rules recreational harvesters are entitled to in the province for food purposes.

That means on any given day when the reefs within my tenure are accessible though lunar/tidal cycles, I'll collect 75 pieces. More than half yield pearls worthy of retention.

Occasionally we experience severe storms or hurricanes. This often causes mussels to be dislodged, cast ashore and mortality. I've identified areas where this is concentrated. It's dirty, smelly work with low incidence, but sometimes find terrific pearls.

Old docks, barges and other structures some times may be hauled out for cleaning or disposal, I'll often be seen salvaging samples from these.

Here's a clip collecting Rock Oysters (Pododesmus macrochisma). These are the shells bearing nearly transparent, brilliant green natural pearls.

Attachments

• podo03.jpg
    podo03.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 34
  • podo04.jpg
    podo04.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 34
  • podo05.jpg
    podo05.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 34
  • podo11.jpg
    podo11.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 33
  • podo14.jpg
    podo14.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 36
  • podo10.jpg
    podo10.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 32
  • podo21.jpg
    podo21.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 32
Dave, thank you for sharing all that you do with us on here! It's a wonderful education for everyone.

Just curious, when you ship tissue samples overseas are you fixing in 95% ethanol or another solution? Relevant for my own tissue sample shipping.

Back