Family Ring with a Pearl

annie

I’ve been puzzling over this ring lately. The ring was given to me when I was teen by my grandparents. It came from the estate of my Grandmother’s elderly male cousin. If I remember correctly he passed away in the early 1980s.

I remember my Grandmother’s cousin a kind man and was very happy when they gave me this ring and a cedar chest from his estate. I’ve treasured both.

The ring has no markings or hallmarks that I can see. I’ve never shown it to a jeweler because I’ve always assumed it is costume jewelry. If anyone has any thoughts I’d appreciate it.

IMG_4651.jpg

IMG_4650.jpg

IMG_4153.jpg

Thank you Pearl Dream for the suggestion. I gently tried the tooth test and it feels slightly gritty. I compared it with a ring that has two freshwater pearls; those pearls clearly have grit. I don't have any faux pearls to compare it with.

I have an old custom broach with two tiny "pearls" that are flaking off...

Do you happen to have a loupe? The surface of a genuine pearl looks smoother under the 10x magnification of a loupe than an imitation pearl does. You could compare what you see with the other freshwaters you have.

Thank you Pearl Dreams, I didn't know that about fake pearls!

Under the loupe, I've looked at the old ring and compared it to my freshwater ring and my Kamoka ring. The Tahitian is very smooth and the freshwater seems to have more texture. The old ring's surface seems to fall somewhere between the two. The old ring's pearl doesn't have any cracking or splotchy coloring.

I'll post a picture of the pearl with the rings I've been comparing it to:

IMG_4658 (2).jpg

Last edited:
annie, you have an absolutely beautiful ring collection and that one from your family is just lovely!!!

annie, you have an absolutely beautiful ring collection and that one from your family is just lovely!!!

Thank you Marianne. :D I was taking pictures of some of my pearls today because I had good light. Here is the entire picture with my ring collection:

IMG_4654.jpg

Whatever the pearl is, there is a claw which is not holding it in place (top photo) and that needs to be sorted.

It looks like an akoya pearl to me. I has nice orient.

Thank you everyone for providing input on my ring and for the compliments on my collection. :)

It is impossible to say with any certainty, but the style of the setting makes me think it is antique, a pearl set in gold (testing would be needed to determine karat). It is a sweet, simple style. Could be pretty old - possibly Victorian, in which case it could be set with a small natural pearl (assuming pearl is original to the setting).

Back