Fair Trade Pearls

I got confused between the ethical talk and the legal talk and completely missed it. I'm sure Josh was superb in defense of fair trade pearls. Certainly, if Kamoka doesn't qualify, no one does! ;)

Last edited:
I think Elisabeth's lecture was on Thursday, 9AM no? That's when I was spinning out about not knowing whether things were cool on the homestead. I guess she gave two? Geez, I should know that. The meeting on ethical production and manufacturing was on Friday 2-4PM. Anyway, no matter. I look forward to seeing a good crew there next year.
Sven I agree that it is good that something is happening. Any work you can do on the subject at FLO or elsewhere would be huge. Tell them you represent the world pearl community!

Hi everyone,
Sven was kind to point out in another thread that I have an interview that was recently posted regarding Kamoka's endeavors to do things as "fairly" as possible in www.fairjewelry.org. I had the address wrong in my second to last post. The profile pic is a silly one from my photography website. A little out of place but maybe a good reminder to not take things too seriously. :)

Hi everyone,
Sven was kind to point out in another thread that I have an interview that was recently posted regarding Kamoka's endeavors to do things as "fairly" as possible in www.fairjewelry.org. I had the address wrong in my second to last post. The profile pic is a silly one from my photography website. A little out of place but maybe a good reminder to not take things too seriously. :)

I saw Sven's thread of that interview and the pic. I knew I've seen the pic from somewhere ;)

Hi everyone,
The Fairtrade Foundation has today launched their fairtrade & fairmined gold standards - here is a link to a post at fairjewelry.org. Here you will find the original press release on the Alliance for Responsible Mining?s internet site. I think this is a big step and hopefully we will be able to achieve something similar for the pearl sector in the near future!
Regards, Sven

Hi there,
Heading for Basel/baselworld fair tomorrow, I?ll attend Martin Rapaport?s Fair Trade Conference in the afternoon. Looking forward to hear about the newest developments for the jewellery sector first-hand (see my last post in this thread...), as e.g Patrick Schein, Executive Board Member of the Association of Responsible Mining (ARM), will be there and for shure give some more input on the fair trade precious metals subject. If possible, I?ll be talking about fair trade pearls to some of the people there...
Regards, Sven

It seems the below link is broken now. I?ll report when the interview is back online.:eek:

Hi all,
I just want to post a link concerning fair trade gold. It is an interview with Patrick Schein, Executive Board Member of the Association of Responsible Mining (ARM).Hope we?ll have something like this for pearls soon...
Regards, Sven

Hi all,
The mentioned interview on fairtrade & fairmined gold is now online in two parts. Part one is here, part two here.
Regards, Sven

Back