Exotics!!!

Hi Precious Pearl
and welcome to the forum. I was going to ask you the same question as Mervione. I think she lives in Stockholm, I live close to J?nk?ping. So you and I could certainly meet some time or other, I think. Yes, I also have natural bluecoloured Akoyas and they are lovely but I am not wearing them that often depending on their nacre not being more than 1 mm (on the radius) in the best case, so they will lose their luster once the nacre disappears and only the nucleus is left. If you are interested in further contact PM me.

Thanks for the chuckle!

I live in Western America and 50 miles is a mere 45 minutes out here. Phoenix is about an hour from here, but the next big city is 6 hrs away.;)

To drive from one side of our country to the other takes 3 days! Melbourne to Perth takes 4 hours to fly.

Thanks for the chuckle!

I live in Western America and 50 miles is a mere 45 minutes out here. Phoenix is about an hour from here, but the next big city is 6 hrs away.;)

We have different measurements of lenght in Sweden vs. for example the US. A "Swedish mile" is a distance of 10 kilometers and I think that what we are talking about is approx. 310 miles without knowing exactly were Mervione lives. On the other hand if you are going from the very south of Sweden to the north of Sweden, the distance is 1572 kilometers which translates to approx. 977 miles...

How far is far away in Sweden? I can't tell how big Sweden is from most world maps.

Caitlin,
Gothenburg is from J?nk?ping (or Hok) about 100 american miles = 170 to 180 km away (to the West), so it is not impossible for us to meet in person. For Merviones part, i.e. Stockholm is about 350 km to the north
from us, so it is equally possible but not that easily, LOL.:)

P.S. Caitlin, I did not read the posts after yours but I can see that you are now left with a lot of choices, hoever Linda (Precious Pearl) is right in that the Swedish mile = 10 kilometers = 1,6 american miles, if I remember it correctly. D.S.

We have different measurements of lenght in Sweden vs. for example the US. A "Swedish mile" is a distance of 10 kilometers and I think that what we are talking about is approx. 310 miles without knowing exactly were Mervione lives. On the other hand if you are going from the very south of Sweden to the north of Sweden, the distance is 1572 kilometers which translates to approx. 977 miles...

Well, Sweden is quite a long and thin country... :) Still one of the biggest countries in Europe though.

Swedish miles...I learn something every day! Sweden is much bigger than I thought! Sweden is about the same size as California. Amazing. I thought it was a bout 50 miles across. Thank you all for the education. I just spent some time looking at maps. I have always thought it was a great country.

Now I have been looking at all picture in this thread once again and these pearls are beyond beautiful. I think that I might "need" to get exotic freshwater pearl for a pendant...

I am a "newbie" when it comes to pearls- how many "colours" do these pearls come in? Some of them seem to be golden, others more peach and there are also the onces with a purple shade. Also what "colour" would look best with 18 K white gold?

Precious Pearl:

Freshwaters can be many, many different colours... They are usually peach or lavender coloured but they can be other colours too, but those are rarer.

With white gold I think lavender would look quite nice.

Thanks for your reply Mervione!

Another stupid "newbie question" from me:

If natural colours can be lavender, peach, white and pink etceteras- what differentiates such pearl from an "exotic pearl"? Is it that the colours of an exotic pearl are deeper, that the luster is more "metallic" or is it something else? My question is basically: What makes a freshwater pearl an "exotic" pearl?

Natural colours for pearls also include shades of gold and purple.
'Exotic' is a term used by Pearl Paradise to describe (as I understand it) freshwater pearls which are not white or black

And the exotics have the metallic luster like Akoyas, which otherwise is rarely the case. Freshwater pearls have a more soft luster compared to Akoyas and the Exotics rival the Akoyas in that aspect as well as they can have a lot of amazing colours, which are not common in Akoyas.

not necessarily - I have lots of coloured pearls with metallic lustre. I call them coloured freshwater pearls with metallic lustre

I believe the exotic pearls are simply the "best of the best" naturally colored freshwater pearls-- better color and/or more metallic in addition to very fine surface and shape. In other words, they cherry-picked the naturally colored pearls to provide only the best.

Does anyone have a picture of an exotic strand next to a "normal" multicoloured freshwater strand?

Back