ebay pearls- how much is it worth?

K

katherine23

I want to purchase a pearl strand or add a pearl necklace for my daughter's 13th birthday. She has shown she can take care of her jewelry so I would like to get her something nice. I like the idea of the add a pearl necklace but wonder where to purchase additional pearls? this add a pearl is on ebay currently -
http://cgi.ebay.com/Add-a-pearl-Nec...ryZ43084QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

item: 220248951817

How do I know if this is a good deal - you can't really see the pearls in the picture - how much do you think I should spend on a strand if I go that route? I purchased a grade A strand of mikimoto's 8MM awhile back on ebay, sent them to miki new york for appraisal and made a very good deal. I don't think I want to spend that much on my daughter though. any advice would be appreciated - she has wanted pearls for 2 years. Thanks

Hi Katherine23,

I think it is a lovely idea to purchase pearls for your daughter! Especially that she loves them already, smart girl!!

I think the ebay item is a questionable choice for the following reasons:

1. Without documentation they should not be stating they are natural pearls from the Persian Gulf. I don't think Add-A-Pearl were from there.

2. Terrible photo! can't see the pearls at all!

3. If you have been reading here, you know that even with white pearls, there are many shades and overtones, and matching is part of the value of a necklace. So purchasing a necklace already made up might be wiser. Freshwater pearls are all nacre, not expensive, do check with the online vendors who post here, and you will find many choices, even some sets, at reasonable cost.

Glad you got a good deal with the Miki's.

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

well the company does claim they use natural pearls on some pieces:

http://addapearl.com/natural_pearl.htm

but when they speak of their cultured pearls they do not state which type of cultured pearl they use, which is confusing and makes the natural pearl claim a little less believable.

I'd say if you like the piece and think its worth the money then go for it, but don't get your hopes up that they are actually natural pearls, consider that a bonus if they are.

Better pictures would help for sure.

leaves something to be desired doesn't it sueki, I'd count on and cultured and hope for natural. Unless you can get some sort of documentation stating otherwise of course.

If you look at one of the other pictures, it says "Genuine Oriental Pearls" -- are Persian Gulf pearls considered oriental?

Some people think any pearl that is not plastic is natural and I guess an argument could be made....however, to those of us in the know, Natural means something very special.

The box looks old and Add a Pearls were very popular in the 50's and 60's -- this is perhaps old mechandise from a store?

I always like the Add a Pearl idea.... growing up many of my friends had one. They were knotted on silk in the pearl part and a chain for the other part. By the time they graduated, they had a full strand or almost. I don't remember the new pearls being so far off in color from the other pearls.

If they are old enough, they coud be natural, but never believe it unless it is certified. Those people don't know much, however $35-39 is probably and OK price.

Just for newbies to eBay: If you are not an eBayer, wait til the last 5 minutes to bid. Make your top price as low as possible- say $40-45. If others bid it up, already, don't bid. If no one has noticed it, you'll get it at the bottom price. I found that when I bid early, it made it attractive to other buyers and you don't want them to think you want it!

Good luck

Hi,

I still think you should buy the whole necklace as you can then be certain the pearls are being matched very well. Go for Freshwater pearls, 100% nacre and much cheaper than cultured Akoyas or real natural pearls from the Persian Gulf, which of course could be called Oriental pearls as well. But a nice strand of Freshadamas always will look very good...

freshwater strand?

freshwater strand?

Thanks for the help - I actually found a couple of reputable online websites that sell the "add a pearl" concept - but I do like the idea of purchasing a freshwater strand, and the add a pearl chain, and then giving her pearls over the years. How much should I expect to pay for a 16 or 18" strand of freshwaters, and does anyone have any websites/retail stores that I should look into? Thanks for all of the help - :)

Back