eBay Auctions - are these real? Undrilled Pearls

Looking for mostly Freshwater pearls to make all sorts of jewelry with...but I love Tahitians pearls the best, but those are way out of my budget.

Nuked = bead-nucleated, that is, a bead is placed inside the mollusk along with a piece of donor mantle tissue that stimulates the formation of the pearl sac.

It's only in recent years that some freshwater pearls have started being nucleated with beads. Edison pearls, ripple pearls, fireball/flameball pearls all are bead-nucleated. These tend to be quite large compared to the solid-nacre FW pearls that have been around longer.

Thank you, PD for explaining "nuked" very well.
cfingram, I also learned this word fairly recently. The forum members use it a lot to shorten nucleated pearl (PD please correct me if I'm wrong). On Ebay you will also find nuclear pearls, they are just nucleated pearls.

Not very many eBay sellers were mentioned, at least, I haven't been able to find them? :)

I guess I will chalk up the 3 pearl purchase and take it as lesson learned and make it practice pearls for drilling/jewelry crafting. They might still be beautiful, who knows! I will only find out when I get my hands on them .

Thank you everyone for your wonderful and kind help, the time taken to respond to my question is very much appreciated!

Not very many eBay sellers were mentioned, at least, I haven't been able to find them? :)

I guess I will chalk up the 3 pearl purchase and take it as lesson learned and make it practice pearls for drilling/jewelry crafting. They might still be beautiful, who knows! I will only find out when I get my hands on them .

Thank you everyone for your wonderful and kind help, the time taken to respond to my question is very much appreciated!

I only know a few: Pearl Society, Agustus Collection, Druzy Design, Pearl Lunar, HS Jewellery watches.

Sorry , I thought there had been some mentioned. Pareltje has listed most...I've bought from all but HS Jewellery Watches..don't know them. I seem to remember a Rainbow Island beads in Florida that had nice photos.. anyone buy anything from them?

There was , and probably still is, a large seller of basic strands that was called Lei Family Jewellers. The name might have changed but they had lots of basic strands. And I think you pretty much got what you paid for... I don't know that I'd try the expensive ones though.

Now with the ETSY sellers getting larger you have Wen and Kong that are less expensive than Lei used to be.

Again most of these are good for inexpensive strands. Agustus and Druzy are good for more expensive items. Pearllunar is very good for smaller pearls .. lovely little pearls..accurate photos I've found. Not inexpensive but then as long as you are making them for yourself you don't need to worry about that so much.

Ewwww these were horrid! They were not as describped at all ! Jeeezzz Louise! Lol seller says they are "Chinese Sea Pearls"...what in the world does that mean, never heard of pearls being called just "Chinese Sea Pearls". IMG_20170227_182556.jpg

This is one of these that I drilled to see what it would look like on a setting...and it was the best pearl out of the four that I got. IMG_20170227_181917.jpg

Those are Chinese freshwater button pearls. Very nice buttons are only a dollar or so apiece in most sizes. In this quality ... pennies.

I hope you didn't pay much of anything for them.

I paid about $3.50 per pc. I spent about $18 or so. I'm not sure if I can file a claim, but since I paid with Paypal I'm sure something can be done. Ewwwwww lol not setting these on anything pricey. I think my sterling silver settings deserve better than that.

Thank you Jeremy.

I paid about $3.50 per pc. I spent about $18 or so. I'm not sure if I can file a claim, but since I paid with Paypal I'm sure something can be done. Ewwwwww lol not setting these on anything pricey. I think my sterling silver settings deserve better than that.

Thank you Jeremy for your response :)

Didn't spend much so it wasn't horrible, and also, I made a pretty strong statement to the seller, just out of "principle", and did get reimbursement for one of the transactions. The seller said "he bought this at a market", and therefore, knows nothing about pearls. I have a feeling many eBay seller have no clue what they are selling. LOL I knew I was taking a chance by bidding on them, but some folks were actually paying $50+ for these pearls. Ouch!

Was the seller in China? I have filed claims on ebay and have gotten full reimbursement from Chinese sellers who misrepresented pearls. If the seller is in China, then they know what they're doing. File as not as represented or fake (in my case I bought Tahitians that were actually freshwaters, or 14K gold clasps that were not gold). Filing any other method means you may have to pay to ship them back in order to get reimbursed.

11mm south sea pearls for 3$ ?
That raises a red flag for me.

The feedback policy "do not leave negative feedback, but gives us a chance to make it right" is also a warning.
Some of those sellers misrepresent what they sell. Then they get away with it in 90% of the cases when the buyer does not know what he is doing, and issue a refund in the other 10% of the cases in order to prevent getting negative feedback.

You are better off shopping at TJMaxx for freshwater button pearls.

Back