Dripping in Pearls?.. Literally!

Right? Hmmm ... I see much smaller ones too, although they could be baby Akoya 3-4mm in size for the tassles on the skirt. Seems like quite a mix to me!

Also, it occurs to me that whole hanks could be used (ideal for making sure the pearls are matched perfectly in color, luster and size), which would bring the cost down more from loose, whole pearls. I doubt they were whole pearls or half-drilled.

Last edited:
Just spit balling here ... The bottom portion appears to consist of smaller 3.0-4.0 mm "baby" Akoya strung into small tassles, while the bodice appears to have larger cultured pearls ranging from 5.0-6.0 mm up through the 9.5 mm size. Each 18-inch hank could cost as little as $250 at the smallest sizes, $500-$600 per hank for the medium-sized 7.5 mm pearls reaching up to $3000 per 18-inches for the largest pearls (assuming they're all fine Japanese Akoya), which border the outer edges.

The easiest way to figure would be on a per-inch basis, rather than pearl by pearl. There are typically 4 pearls per inch in a 6.5 mm Akoya pearl hank, 3 pearls for 7.5-8.5 mm and 2 pearls in the 9.5 mm size, which gives us an average of 3 pearls per inch. 6,000 pearls divided by 3 gives us 2,000 inches of pearls approximately. Average out the pearl's costs per hank at $1,285.00 each, divided by 18-inches equals roughly $71.50 per inch x 2000 = $142,778.00 in pearls. Fortune seems very close to the mark! Lol.

Lupita's gown is a gorgeous as she is!

Thank you for doing the math on that gown. WOW just WOW!

Thinking I really need to work harder on my diet, ;)

Cheers!

Have to agree with all the comments! I love the CK styling and Lupita looked stunning in the pearl dress. I was surprised they used the word natural in the article. Are those pearls really all aokyas, and not freshwater pearls? ..maybe we'll get to see the dress in the Smithsonian one day!

I saw a close up of the bodice and it looked like there were some smaller drop-shaped FW in there (bottom right of the picture)

35943f88af9d2bf24fc07bf074bcb482.jpg

And the closeups make it an even bigger marvel! Like a piece of sculpture, really ...

Couldn't agree more - the craftsmanship that went into this dress is awe-inspiring! Some VERY talented designers and tailors working on this one... :cool:

I cannot imagine how heavy that dress is! It appears that the substrate (don't know really what else to call the fabric the pearls were sewn on to) looks substantial in its own right. It also looks like the larger pearls are really quite large...maybe 15mm+...given the size of the index finger and pearl closest to it. But you pearl experts likely would be better to guess that than I.

One of the reports mentions thousands of sequins as well ... on that foundation fabric, or on the skirt ... or both? Oh, how we need someone on the inside to get a close look at this dress marvel!

What an amazing dress! I also love her make up. Stunning.

Thanks Nora; great article! Wallace Simpson could walk in any room today and still be a style icon. Now as for "auctioning off her pearls" ... all I have to say is "back away, husband ... back away" LOL. Quite a tidy profit though!

This just in from TheWrap.com - Lupita's Pearl Dress has been stolen!! The glamorous gown valued at $150,000 was lifted out of Nyong’o’s room at The London West Hollywood sometime between 8 a.m. and 9 p.m. on Tuesday, the hotel confirmed to TheWrap.

I can't even believe this tragedy; where would you ever even think you could wear/display/sell such a notorious item like this? just incredible ... I hope she gets it back!

http://www.thewrap.com/lupita-nyong...th-6000-pearls-stolen-from-hotel-room-report/

Back