Do you think these are real?

la_corsetiere

Super Moderator
I recently purchased these 12.3mm round "Tahitians". When I received them, they looked absolutely perfect, gorgeous mirror luster, exactly like the photo, not the slightest flaw or imperfection...but they didn't pass the tooth test. I returned them, informing the seller that I believed they were man-made shell pearls. She just wrote back saying she had them tested by a GIA certified gemologist and that they were NOT shell pearls, but it was not certain whether they were cultured freshwater or saltwater. (?????????)

Frankly, I think she's lying, but rather than get into it, I'm just waiting for my refund. I'd really appreciate some feedback, though. What do you think? Did I just blow it by returning these? Or is she a crook (or to put it more kindly, mistaken...)

Thanks! Sheri

http://cgi.ebay.com/polar-AAA-12-3M...ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Last edited:
Hi Sheri,

They are shell pearls. And a GIA certified gemologist doesn't know a saltwater pearl from a freshwater??

Recently, I've encountered shell pearls in two jewellery stores. The store owners said the pearls were real. I insisted they were not! Then the story changed to---"well, the supplier told me they were man made but in the exact way a real pearl is, so there is no difference". DUH!!! I threatened to report the sellers to jeweller's vigilance if they didn't stop telling customers this crap. Unbeleivable. They know better.

Slraep

Well, if you ever succeed in getting your money back, and I think you will, don't miss the feedback to help other potential buyers in the future.

If you paid throught paypal you are protected as for " item different from description". You have to provide a certificate from your usual jeweller stating that pearls are not natural cultivated Tahiti pearls, but fake man made shell pearls, and it must be enought. It is a long process but don't give up, you have to make declaration within 45 days after purchase, see the tutorial in ebay.

Good luck

Thanks to you both for your feedback! I did return the pearls, so I'm sure I'll get my $ back, either through paypal or through my credit card. I'll DEFINITELY leave feedback. It galls me to see that several other people have already purchased these "pearls" for quite a lot of money, and left glowing feedback (which is why I took the chance in buying them). I guess ignorance is bliss...

Going to a wholesale gem show tomorrow to look at some REAL tahitians!

Anyway, I'm glad to have confirmation that I'm not totally crazy...just crazy for pearls, perhaps! ;)

Sheri

You will ever be more lucky in looking for unperfect pearls, funny to see that it is easier to copy perfection than imperfection....

To weigh in a little late... I do not believe the seller is unintentionally selling fake pearls. The same seller is selling freshwater pearls and claiming they are South Sea pearls from Indonesia. It looks like a pattern of deception there.

The "Tahitian" pearls in the photo are definitely fake.

Slaerp, I am continually amazed by the misinfirmation that comes from the clerks in jewelry stores. Some will tell you anything to get a sale and many know little about what they are selling. I think its good to give them a reality check periodically by questioning the some of the lies they tell.

Sheri, the ebay seller that you purchased your shell pearls from has been selling loose gemstones for a while now, seeming to have a lot of sri lankan and Montana sapphires. The low low prices have always made me suspect, of at least their clarity grading. They have a 1.5ct padparadshah sapphire on for $450 right now, thats below wholesale for anything of decent quality in that size. Whats wrong with that one?The pearls look to be a new addition to there ebay sales, although I haven't checked their offerings for some time. What seems to make it more difficult to sort out is they appear to have some real pearls in the mix. Hope your transaction ends to your satisfaction.

Dfrey

Hi guys. What gets me is that "retail value" seems to go all over the board. I find vendors who set unrealistic/outrageous retail values unethical. I think the point is, if no one has paid, kazillion dollars for a piece, then the retail value is not kazillion dollars. The retail value is whatever someone has paid for the piece.

A relatively inexpensive lesson...

A relatively inexpensive lesson...

Just wanted to report back that I did get my refund today, so am only out about $19 shipping. I did leave appropriate feedback. Thanks to all for your moral support! Next time I'll go with my instincts if something looks too good to be true!

Sheri

It's terrible that people can almost get away with anything on Ebay, because somewhere out there there's always someone who will be duped. In the case of pearls, so little is known by most people out there that it is almost too easy to be dishonest.

The freshwater pearl he's selling for $695 just blows me away, and he'll probably get away with it too.:mad:

That is a so-called south sea pearl for $695. I can almost see into the drill hole. What I can see isn't encouraging, but I'd have to see more to make a srtonger opinion.

I wish you had taken a photo of the drill hole before you sent the "Tahitians" back. When you take a macro of the drill hole, you can see it as if many times magnified. It is amazing what you can see in drill holes.....

He is claiming in his feedback that he had the pearls certified by a gemologist AFTER they were returned!!!!! Why didn't he do that before he put them up for sale? Will he post the report if he lists them again? .....He had them certified as what? He doesn't say.

Perhaps someone will guide him to this thread so he will know that people are watching vendors over there and giving honest opinions re their pearl claims. Rather like reviewing a restaurant if you ask me.

Back