Golden south sea pearls from New etsy vendor, what do you think?

nnguye20

Hi everybody!
So I found this vendor on Instagram, he just opened his shop on etsy. After carefully looked at the photos he posted, I decided that he is selling real pearls, so I bought these gssp earrings. To be honest I was really excited to receive them and really like the pearls.
So my question is, is it a good deal? Is it real pearls? I mean I think my pearl eyes are pretty trained thanks to this forum, but i'm not that much of an expert and now I think about it, the price can be a bit too good to be true? The pearls have good luster, almost flawless surface and great shape. I'm not sure about the settings, they look like diy earring settings. For the price of $50, I didn't really care about the metal, I just want the pearls. Since the vendor is really new, I just want to double check since I'm thinking about buying gssp from him for my mom, since the price is good. Oh and the pearls feel gritty when rubbed against my teeth. While he doesn't talk about his return policy on etsy, I asked and he said it is 2 weeks after delivery. Here's the link to his shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/PearlsByMichael
I'm really not that confident in my pearl judging skills, so I want your opinions. Thank you so much!

Attachments

• IMG_20180502_165958_443.jpg
    IMG_20180502_165958_443.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 1525294172330-204.jpg
    1525294172330-204.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20180502_165958_444.jpg
    IMG_20180502_165958_444.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 20180504_152415.jpg
    20180504_152415.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 20180502_130829.jpg
    20180502_130829.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 46
The seller seems to carry mostly low grade but genuine pearls. I notice he doesn't state that his chocolate pearls are color treated, which makes me think your goldens may also be color treated, as they are considerably darker than the other yellow pearls he has.

However you didn't pay a lot, and you like them, and they are pearls! Enjoy!

Before you wear them, you are going to need to do something about the hooks. As they are now, there is a high chance that they will slip out of your ears. Place them on a pen (to keep a nice curve) and push the back leg down, so that it hangs down when worn.

Before you wear them, you are going to need to do something about the hooks. As they are now, there is a high chance that they will slip out of your ears. Place them on a pen (to keep a nice curve) and push the back leg down, so that it hangs down when worn.

Good eye, Lady_Disdain! as a man, I might add that a little filling with a thin nail file would make tips of hooks smoother, because so rough they are now, I beg they can injure your ears.
About colour, I had read in a thread, I don't remember where, that many pale gold pearls entered in Japan, to leave darker.

Last edited:
The seller seems to carry mostly low grade but genuine pearls. I notice he doesn't state that his chocolate pearls are color treated, which makes me think your goldens may also be color treated, as they are considerably darker than the other yellow pearls he has.
However you didn't pay a lot, and you like them, and they are pearls! Enjoy!
Pearl Dreams thank you for your advice, I didnt really think the color is treated when I bought it, maybe I can ask him later. I also asked him to find me stud earrings of GSSP that are similar or darker than these in his lot, and he replied he couldnt find any for stud earrings. If these are treated I would assume he should have more, since the color is more favorable? I can tell that the chocolate ones are treated, but how can you tell the golden? I'm just really curious since I always thought color-treated/dyed pearls would have grainy shining or flat, even-colored body.

Lady_disdain thank you for your advice. I dont really like that settings so I'm planning to replace them. But I will use your tips so I can wear them before finding new earring settings.

Pretty pearls :)
Though this is a new shop on Etsy, I believe the vendor has had other Etsy shops. I say this because the pearls, listing words and style remind me of some pearls shops that are no longer on Etsy - AlonzoSupplies and SouthPacificGems
Interesting, I would think he is a new seller tho. There are pearls of different quality but are listed with same price. Also he doesnt mention return policy, pearl treatment and metal of the settings, which I think is not a mistake an experienced seller should have. Maybe I should tell him about adding more info? I had good experience communicating and buying from him, it would be unfortunate if his mistakes cast doubt on buyers.

Back