Cook Islands pearls

S

Sanveann

My husband and I are going on vacation to the Cook Islands next month, and I'm very excited about doing some pearl shopping there :)

I know the very basics about pearls ... luster, shape, etc. But is there any particular stuff I should know about the pearls farmed in the Cooks? I'm not looking for super high-end pearls ... just something to wear for myself.

How exciting! Buying yourself pearls from the islands will be a great way to remember your experience long after you've left. Most of the pearls from the Cook Islands are cultivated on Manihiki and Penrhyn. My best advice to you would be to never buy your pearls from anyone on the street or little souvenir shops. Keep in mind that pearls are their second largest source of income so make sure you are fully educated about what you are going to buy so you do not get taken advantage of. They know visitors are motivated to buy pearls in this area so the more you know about the pearls, the better off you will be. Happy shopping and have a safe trip!

Cook Island Pearls

Cook Island Pearls

I forgot to mention earlier that the Cook Islands are most known for their carved pearls. If you find carved pearls, go for it! In order to get carved, pearls need to have very thick nacre. If the carving is attractive and artistic, that's another plus. If you have the choice between a carved pearl pendant and a strand of dubious origin, go for the carved pendant,

Zeide

While in Hawaii, I noticed numerous jewelry stores carry these carved pearls. They are very intriguing and truly works of art. It is amazing how intricate the details are on such small spaces. However, I love classic jewelry and I feel Tahitians are beautiful in their own right. If you want to have something to wear that is timeless and can go with many different styles, I would recommend going with the classic, untouched pearl. In my eyes, there is nothing more beautiful than a gem produced by a living organism.

Back