Climate change and pearl prices

pearliegirlie

Community member
What affect is and will climate change have on the price of pearls? Will the effect be worse for south sea and tahitian pearls?

I've been thinking about this. Provided that warmer temperatures and less acidic ocean waters don't harm the oysters (which it very well might), don't oysters produce nacre faster in warmer waters? This might mean that larger pearls with thicker nacre might be able to be produced more quickly. Whether or not that means equally lustrous nacre or equally beautiful pearls would be another question entirely though.

Mollusks live underwater. Rain doesn't bother them. It might bother the pearl farm structures above water level.

Well I am no expert but I think that even smaller changes could cause great effect, or it may not. It's really difficult to say. Warmer waters and more storms might affect the oysters, maybe not them per se but their food supply might be affected. Mostly I have noticed all predictions about the future are exaggerated, yes there are changes but usually more slowly. So pearl prices could go up, or maybe not. It's just not the quantity or quality that determine the price of an object. You have to add demand, in that you have to add shipping fees and customs and there may be laws/fees in the future to reduce shipping for the environment. All those things control the demand. For example during this and last year flying has been getting really bad publicity in sweden. If you post something on social media about traveling by air you do get lots of negative comments. Now shipping is getting there as well, the black friday sales got bad publicity and counteractions (some webshops closed on friday) and there are lots of talk about consuming in general, that is you should only buy what you really need. This in terms might affect peoples work, if we consume less then less job opportunities. Well it isn't easy to predict the future, it could go any way really.

Back