Cast your votes! : Natural coloration, or treated in some way?

Jacques

Pearly pearl
These are Tahitian pearls from a producer in the Tuamotus. I don't believe I have ever seen anything that looks like this kind of color in Tahitians before.
I wanted to ask the PG community what they thought of these body colors, if they believe them to be natural, or enhanced in some way.

Has anyone seen Tahitians that look like this?

Attachments

• Tuamotu_exceptional.jpg
    Tuamotu_exceptional.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Oh my goodness! Wonderful eye candy.

If they are not enhanced I wouldn't think these are normal harvest. More like best of the best... N perhaps not very large too. I've seen less intense versions of some of these colors before. Photographing under a light tent and enhancing the colors can certainly give the vivid colors that we see here.

But love to hear from experts!

I thought about the lightbox too. But what is interesting is that the other pictures of their pearls are shot the same way, but none of them look like this. The colors are much more subdued compared to this mini-lot pictured above. I would think they would use the same lighting techniques for all of their shots, as they have quite a comprehensive offering of pearl jewelry.

Or perhaps these pearls really are just the best of the best.

Last edited:
Yes, I do actually - that is Victor. Those pearls on his website banner are stunners! He has a nice lease on the North side of Mangareva and has been producing for a while. They are one of the better known producers on the island. Nice quality.

Last edited:
There's several light sources. Most images we see elsewhere have single source lighting.

My guess is they're shooting multiple images, each with a red, green and blue filter, then compiling the image by overlaying them. Or something along those lines.

I saw a piece on PBS a few years ago about Edwin Land, the inventor of the Poloroid camera.

He created a color image using only two black and white photos, a couple of filters and two slide projectors.

The experiment is demonstrated here: The Land Effect

The only thing we can really vote on is whether we think the photo is enhanced. I doubt that the pearls are enhanced, but the photo looks like it's skewed somehow. I think Dave may be right that it's an overlay photo, which can be useful when you want the whole area of each pearl to be in focus at once.

the colors look like they should look, when photographed inside a tent you still need verry high luster pearls for the reflection they have on them but to me they look good, we also buy quite crazy pearls some of the farmers we work with know we really realllllly like these so they set some crazy ones apart for us every harvest.

the rule in dealing with pearls like this is buy them all ;) picture one has normal light picture two had studio light and a piece of paper just above the pearls so the colors look real strong no photoshop needed just a pieces of paper :)

_MG_9171.jpg
bdb1baacd6bsdd5113cd2d1bdb0912157.jpg

Last edited:
Nice dmj, I like those! They are gorgeous.

Lagoon, thanks for the link to the Edwin Land experiment. I had never heard of this. Very interesting!

Last edited:
Exactly Pattye - they would be beautiful pearls but ....
Daniel - your pearls look gorgeous in both lighting conditions ! Thanks for that !
Jaques - I think the idea that the photo has been " manipulated " ( and I don't mean that in a negative way ) by layering the photos explains the intense colour. I'm sure they are spectacular pearls but I don't think they will look anything like that IRL . They look like he photos from the guy in Fjii .. If I ever get there I'm going straight to his store to see them . ( sorry , his name just popped out of my head) I can't believe they look like that.

Exactly Pattye - they would be beautiful pearls but ....
Daniel - your pearls look gorgeous in both lighting conditions ! Thanks for that !
Jaques - I think the idea that the photo has been " manipulated " ( and I don't mean that in a negative way ) by layering the photos explains the intense colour. I'm sure they are spectacular pearls but I don't think they will look anything like that IRL . They look like he photos from the guy in Fjii .. If I ever get there I'm going straight to his store to see them . ( sorry , his name just popped out of my head) I can't believe they look like that.

Are you talking about J Hunter pearls Katbran? I am planning to go there in August. :p

Back