Cassis and Flame

Thanks Pattye. Yes, the pearlers seem to be keeping pace with increasing expectations. Let's see if they can keep it up. Meanwhile I had intended to provide this more complete multi-angle study of the pearl today with natural/artificial lighting mix. The photo last night was actually of the 'bad' side, R below.

Attachments

• 3.4CC-CompX.jpg
    3.4CC-CompX.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 40
blister cassis

blister cassis

really happy i bought this one last week think its a pretty cool blister cassis the blister size is 11 x 23mm

Attachments

• !B+H3Qr!!mk~$(KGrHqJ,!lEEy+jC)JD(BM-t5OsHng~~_3.jpg
    !B+H3Qr!!mk~$(KGrHqJ,!lEEy+jC)JD(BM-t5OsHng~~_3.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 49
  • !B+H3ZLQEGk~$(KGrHqV,!jUEzKMBd-(3BM-t5utcZw~~_3.jpg
    !B+H3ZLQEGk~$(KGrHqV,!jUEzKMBd-(3BM-t5utcZw~~_3.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Nice shell. Looks like the mollusk was nearly successful in ejecting the pearl, only to have it get caught in its 'teeth.'

Working with the digital microscope and getting better?

3.4ct Cassis again, in flames.

Attachments

• 3.4FLAMECOMP(10.jpg
    3.4FLAMECOMP(10.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 42
Dang, that's so incredible! I'VE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THOSE photos!!!
Thanks all, I admit that was a pretty inspired session last night as I finally got the microscope to focus?not easy with a $150 Taiwanese toy hooked up to an old Mac it's not even supposed to be compatible with!

Photography has long since become a big part of my pearl pleasure?it helps me to judge and appreciate quality (my eyesight is deficient and not expected to improve any time soon?) and obtaining images worth sharing is very satisfying.

Thanks for sharing Steve. Words can not express the beauty you have shown in these gems. What power magnification is the last shot?

Marianne

What power magnification is the last shot?
I really can't say, it's just a question of getting close and then patiently trying to focus while staying on target to capture an image. The scope is advertised up to 500X, so probably closer to 100X.

Is it true that the conch pearl loses its luster faster than, say, the akoya? I have wanted to 'invest' in one, but, hear repeatedly that we should only buy pearls for immediate pleasure because the lusters diminish over time. The above pictures and pearls are priceless. Thank you for sharing. Most that I've seen soon eBay aren't nearly that cylindrical.

It's a different kind of luster, more like porcelain, because it is calcareous and not nacreous. It shouldn't lose the luster, but Conch pearls are prone to fading over time, especially if they are frequently exposed to bright lights. Just keep them in a box when you aren't wearing them. Did you see Steve Metzler's conch pearl? It is small, but absolutely perfect.

I did and am impressed. I see many for sale on eBay, and many look almost melted. I've never seen one live...only in pictures. Saw some abalone pictures of the Paua, hope I spelled that correctly. Only one or two sides worth looking at...then this rusted mud appearance. Truly strange and mighty expensive!

Color in these conch shells is due to pigments, and these are organic compounds prone to "decay"...so the color will fade in time. GemGeek's advice is very sound: keep them away form strong light -specially direct sunlight- so you may enjoy the colors for a longer time, hopefully for hundreds of years.
I would not say their luster would be affected unless there is chemical or abrasive damage. You want these pearls for their unique "flame" and not so much for their shine.
Happy Hunting!

Seems like many of the previous photos posted by Steve Metzler have "disappeared" from this thread...maybe just a problem on my browser. But just in case, I wanted to share a photo of a Conch Pearl with "flame"...in case someone is looking for such a thing.
IMG 20120623 182823

Back