Canadian Natural Pearls

Hi Dave
This troubles me a lot :confused::
We know in pearl culture, color is determined by the donor.
If we were to graft a black lipped oyster with a nucleus and a piece of mantle from a gold lipped oyster, (left besides if it is in fact possible or not ),
what would be the color of the cultivated pearl harvested from this black lipped oyster ?

Good question. I realize this is a bold statement, but I base this around some sound evidence.

For the sake of clarity, I'm not suggesting it's a controlled method of determination, but very often color and quality are reflected by the grafted tissue. It's no secret that in homogenics, the best pearls are cut from epithelial tissues gathered from donors with wide margins (color) at the pallial line.

Almost all natural pearls are xenogenic in origin. Predators or hitchikers involved in the the extrapallial space are coated similar in structure to the host, as are mabes (which are non-tissue grafted), but in the case of xenogenics, the results are markedly different. Things can go either way, depending on the tissues themselves and the position within the host.

The main issue with xenogenics is calcite. http://www.daveleblanc.ca/pdf/Homogenic and Xenogenic Implantation in Pearl Mussels.pdf
Now to get back to the question. Though different species, they are the same order. No single test determines the overall body of study, but if one was to perform a volume of tests, you'd likely find some interesting results. Farmers want quality, so they use their best discretion in donor selection to increase the incidence of good quality pearls. I'm not sure SS farmers are allowed to do that anyway, nor would they want to while they use their own time-honored methods.

I've never worked with Pinctada, so it would be a stretch for me to determine the outcome, but my senses tell me it would be a mixed bag of color and quality.

I'm no scientist, but motivated to be observant and objective, but often find myself apologizing for being naively misleading.

I am still in trouble.
Because the nacre comes from the inside of the oyster receiver, so what?
Hi experts overthere I think this idea is as troubling as the famous "pearls come from a grain of sand in the mollusc"
Where is the thruth ?

Think of it in the simplest terms. A recipient is a life support system for the graft tissue which allows the donor cells to multiply, divide and increase in surface area.

The same applies with other biologicals. I have an apple tree grafted with three branches, each producing fruit of the donor species.

Meanwhile, here's a real beauty that reared itself in today's collection.

A 14mm heart shaped natural black pearl with amazing depth and tones.

Attachments

• naturalblack01.jpg
    naturalblack01.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 50
  • naturalblack02.jpg
    naturalblack02.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 51
  • naturalblack04.jpg
    naturalblack04.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 48
  • naturalblack03.jpg
    naturalblack03.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 50
  • naturalblack05.jpg
    naturalblack05.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 50
  • naturalblack06.jpg
    naturalblack06.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 55
I received several images today from fellow P-Ger Ana Vasiliu (valeria101) at the lab at the University of Granada, Spain, of some of my natural mytilus pearls.

Not the smoothest surfaces by any means, but definitely noteable for the color, translucency and flame. Although almost solid aragonite, they have a remarkable similarity to the color of the squid eye pearls Douglas discovered a few months ago.

Attachments

• goldpearl01.jpg
    goldpearl01.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 41
  • goldpearl00.jpg
    goldpearl00.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 46
  • goldpearl02.jpg
    goldpearl02.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 46
Meanwhile, here's a real beauty that reared itself in today's collection.

A 14mm heart shaped natural black pearl with amazing depth and tones.

Hi Dave
Are these beauties from mercenaria mercenaria ? (or Venus mercenaria?) = Quahogs from Canadian waters ?

Hi Dave
Are these beauties from mercenaria mercenaria ? (or Venus mercenaria?) = Quahogs from Canadian waters ?

California mussels (Mytilus californianus). I'm not sure why, but pearls from any of the west coast venus clams are exceedingly rare.

Those are incredibly beautiful! I love the comparison shot of the mineral crystal. :cool:

Back