Can someone tell me about this small pearl?

meredith

Community member
This pearl comes from Sulawesi. It is quite small. It weighs 0,4 gram and has a button shape. It is white but doesn't look like a clam from Tridacna ... It is not very white, the colour is lightly ivory ... the shape is very regular ...

Attachments

• Antique Rose Gold Old Mine Cut Blue Zircon Solitaire  worn with a Vintage Turquoise Flower Link Brac
    Antique Rose Gold Old Mine Cut Blue Zircon Solitaire worn with a Vintage Turquoise Flower Link Brac
    31 KB · Views: 37
  • P1230753.JPG
    P1230753.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 30
  • P1230790.JPG
    P1230790.JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 26
  • P1230781.JPG
    P1230781.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 26
there are Pinctada Maxima oysters in Sulawesi , so it could be either a natural or a cultured South Sea pearl

The nacre looks more freshwater than south sea though....(could be the photo. Hard to tell from a pic)
can you tell us how you came by this pearl, and what do you think it is?

On the reflective surface in the first photo there looks to be a drill hole on the bottom. Was this drilled? I'm wondering if it's a freshwater pearl from a ring. (I actually have an inexpensive FWP ring with a pearl that looks like that.)

Thank you for your opinions! So, the measures are 7x4,5mm ... here I add another photo from the bottom. What is half drilled? There is a scratch on the bottom but on the surface only, and it's not in the middle. One can see a small central area which is a bit rough. The most significant photo is the one with reflection. The colour reminds milk. Can it be called nonnacreous of nacreous? It came to me from Banggai area in Central Sulawesi, from a local dealer. That of course doesn't say it cannot origin from somewhere else. When I look the Pinctada Maxima photos, I can't find any similar. Are there Pinctada Maxima's pale and white as milk?

Attachments

• Caption
    Caption
    9.9 KB · Views: 40
  • P1230752.JPG
    P1230752.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 34
It's very interesting. I see what you mean by milky, but it's hard to say with any certainty what kind of mollusk produced it. The bottom looks like it might have temporarily attached to the shell by a stalk and then broken off. A mystery pearl! :)

Back