Bluebirrrd's Application and Intro!

Oh, thank you so much, Caitlin! I do want to make more chainmaille pieces. This little piece used over 100 jumps though. Eeek.

Wonderful creation bluebirrrd! I've used duroplate jumprings from Via Murano in gold and had no problems. (only for joining a clasp tho..... as the thought of attempting chainmaille makes my eyes go crossed :) Keep it up girl!

Bluebirrrd, that's so cool! Personally, I like it better as just that intricate design rather than clearly a heart and/or wings. Who was that TV artist from the seventies who used to talk about "happy accidents?" :)

Great! Those Tahitians are gorgeous! Are you ok with telling us your source?

Did you take a class for the maille? You must have amazing patience.

So much fun to see a new and different way to use pearls :) Great piece of work and gorgeous pearls!

- Karin

It's been a wet and rainy weekend. I'm thankful it isn't flooding, which I know is happening other places. For us, the rain is most welcome and perfect weather for staying inside and beading. So guess what? I made my first chainmaille piece! After all these weeks of gathering supplies and getting little packages from all over the US and the far corners of the Earth I decided I better get busy and make something.

If you use your imagination, you may see a heart in the middle. If you imagine a little more, you may be able to see that it has wings. Or if you're like my husband, you won't see any of that at all. The heart design was an improvisation after I realized my jumps were too small to do what I originally wanted.

The jump rings and chain are the 99.9 silver duroplate from Via Murano, supposed to be a nice thick plate. I don't have experience with it though, so feedback on its durability would be appreciated. I hope to make my own jumps eventually, but I'm not there yet. The pearls were ordered directly from a farm in French Polynesia. I'll attach the vendor pic, which is accurate for color in sunlight. My photo was taken in the rain.

View attachment 19781View attachment 19782

This is very, very cool!

I know Pam and Ira, who own Via Murano and their products are very high quality. And they are terrific people. But, look at your necklace! It's such a beautiful design. I admire your patience with the chain maille. I have never got so complicated myself from a lack of time. And the pearls are lovely!

I appreciate all of your comments! Thank you to each of you. In the back of my mind was the idea that if I couldn't get it right I might have to take it apart ring by ring O_O In the past once, I worked in a costume shop. If I made a mistake, the ladies I sewed with would just say, "That's what seam rippers are for." I had to rip a lot of seams... So yes, patience helps. I got into a nice rhythm but then the rings kept getting tighter, more crowded and harder to close. A class would be good, I'd love to take one. So far, I've just looked at books at the bookstore, and I put a few of them on my wishlist.

Hey Marianne and Gem Geek, thanks for sharing your experience with Via Murano. Pam is a total doll on the phone. I love ordering from her just because she's so nice. I like that they're American made too, I just wanted to make sure the silver plate is durable. I have some solid silver findings too, but on pieces needing heavy chain or lots of jumps, it just seems too expensive. Do you guys disagree?

This is what my husband says each time I make something new, "How much could you sell that for?" (Keep in mind I've never sold anything.)
My response, "How much would you pay to buy it for your beloved wife?"
Referring to this particular necklace, he thinks and says, "Sixty dollars?"
I give him a look and huff, "Clearly you know nothing about the cost of precious metals and pearls!" :mad:
"Uh, oh."

:p

Wow, bluebirrrd I missed the chainmaille until now - it is amazing! Congratulations and well done - the materials look fantastic together.

We have some other examples of this craft here somewhere - maybe an old post of Sheri's (LaCorsetiere)?

Nerida, thank you for the kind words. I have always crafted in one way or another and have secretly wanted my own little etsy shop for ages. I feel a bit insecure not only about the business aspect but also whether what I make is nice enough to sell to others. I'd rather try it with jewelry than some of the other things I've made. Barnwood birdhouses (too heavy for shipping!), aprons (lovely but meh), embroidered tea towels (you can look at them, but please don't use them!?). Jewelry is just so much better than all those things! So for now, I'm in practice mode.

Here is what I made last night. I'm amazed by how feather light it is on the wrist. Not sure if the thin, soft deerskin is too lightweight or not, but I do like how airy and comfortable it is. All the metal components are oxidized and buffed to be dark and shiny. I used 3" of the silver rosebuds I got a while back and knotted them with black silk. I didn't use gimp at the ends and am undecided if I should or not. Your comments and any suggestions for improvements are welcome. I've been looking forward to using a flat braid like this and personally love the design. My husband is usually my biggest fan, but he didn't seem to get it or agree.

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

I think it looks very cool! Rock'n roll and feminine at the same time. Wouldn't suit your husband, though :D

- Karin

Love the combination!!! Think that for a bracelet you might want to use a synthetic thread due to the chance of it getting wet :) If you stay with silk, then using gimp is probably a good idea.

Wow. Hang around here for a while. Should be very confidence building if you keep on turning out stuff like that!!! The artsy photography says something about you too- and its all good!

Karin, rocknroll + feminine is awesome so thank you. Are you sure it doesn't describe my husband? Joking.

Thank you Marianne and Karin for the tips, I need them. I could use synthetic silk and could treat the leather with a water seal before braiding it to make it a little more resistant. I could also use gimp and tarnish it, I just wasn't sure which would look better.

Caitlin, that's so kind of you to say. I know what I like, but it isn't always what others like too. I've been wearing pearls to work almost daily and I don't think anyone has even noticed. This is a fun place for me to visit because I can learn, be inspired by beautiful pearls and beautiful jewelry, and share creations with you. There's obviously a LOT of real talent as well as skill here. Pearlies seem more avant garde than the average bears and I love it!

Back