Bleached Nuclei

J

jwong

Currently, there has been news about the bleached nuclei in the industry. Has anybody heard of this?

People have been bleaching nuclei for sometime already. They do this to lower their cost of production, making lower grade nuclei (more stained) to higher grade (more white, and pure).

For the past few years, the price of nuclei has been dropping. Buyers believe they found themselves good deals becuase they can obtain higher quality nuclei for a lower price. Sellers are profitting because they are selling lower grade nuclei for a higher price.

This is a very serious issue because bad suppliers do not tell buyers. When buyers use these nuclei in their pearl farms, they are unaware of the bleaching. Moreover, the bleaching has not gone through extensive treatment. The chemicals from bleaching remain inside the nuclei. Once a bleached nucleus is inserted into the shell, the chemicals get released inside and remain on the pearl layer of the pearl.

If you need more information about this, you can post on this thread, PM or email at jenny.wong@hotmail.com

Jenny

The picture I get in my mind is of the cheaper, bleached, mother of pearl beads with traces of active bleach left in them used to culture bargain basement akoya strands with minimal pearl plating which are then subjected to some cheap phony mirroring process and cheap highly shiny wax coatings......and sold to fools everywhere with the same techniques as the Emporor's new clothes!

The resultant string of highly processed, thinly pearl-plated beads, even if never worn, will self destruct, from the gradual release of the bleaching agents turning it into chalky cracked surfaces which peal worse than nail polish because it is a thinner layer of pearl plating than you would ever wear nail polish- And all this AFTER you left your positive feedback?

Do I get the Picture?

This is an interesting issue to bring up- The shells used to produce cultured marine pearls is a big industry with a stake in producing quality product and letting novices know about the shenanagans in your end of the trade.

Thanks! Nice to have an obvious expert on the subject make comments.

I did read elsewhere that the quality Mississippi shell nucleii are from mussels?

With no depth to the pearl-plating to establish orient, or water, those Miki-techies needed other criteria for the sales pitch (aka mystique). Perfect shape and perfect surface must become more important.

The scammers can take advantage of the miki-mystique with fraudulent goods because the layman can't tell how thick the pearl-plating is, only how round and shiny the bead.

Last edited:
It follows that if you want a decent akoya-plated strand you need to deal with people you trust, people who know enough to buy from people who use the best mother of pearl shell beads and culture in the oyster for long enough to meet some kind of standard. Then you will get a long-lasting bling that will not leak bleach into the nacre and thus self destruct.

I realize Jenny is probably asleep as I write, but I am interested to hear from her.

While the owners of this forum are in no way responsible for my opinions or choice of words such as "pearl-plating", I would like to see reforms in the akoya pearl-plating industry, which was described as such a "fraud" that at least one ethical writer would not include a chapter on the subject in his book (Richard Wise)

Thus I am SO in favor of exposing the cheap tricks in the nucleii industry, in the farming itself and in the bleaching dying and various processes used to enhance the "bling" factor. Edit: Actually, I really don't care what processes a cultured pearl goes through- as long as they are disclosed. Disclosed or exposed.

Kudos to the members of this forum willing to do this.

Last edited:
Bleaching nuclei is bad for pearls. And many companies are doing it. In fact it has become a serious issue in Japan. And they recently stopped taking nuclei from outside Japan except for one source I know of. Fukui shell does not bleach their nuclei. So they are the only exception to this recent decision that I know of.

How about these guys? http://www.islandpearls.net/index.htm

Scroll down to Vapor Encapsulation. Has anyone heard of that?

I bookmarked that page a couple of years ago, the website hasn't changed.
Yes, I am very familiar with Paul Cross's BS. He has been spreading it thick for years. Call them and order some. Let me know what you get. Ask him if you can invest in his mickey mouse project. lol Ask him how many nuclei he's sold in 10 years. Ask where he buys his shells. And when was the last time. Then ask him when he's going to stop cracking me up with his schemes. :D Good Luck I think he watched too much Star Trek as a kid.

Last edited:
I first heard about Vapor deposition or Vapor encapsulation from Zeide in her first or second post on here.

I think that process is a fan-t-zee

I first heard about Vapor deposition or Vapor encapsulation from Zeide in her first or second post on here.

I think that process is a fan-t-zee
I always assumed that they must be breathing some of those vapors.:eek:

I thought vapor disposition was the process used for the "mystic" coating on gemstones, and the aurora borealis finish on crystals???? But have no idea what vapor encapsulation would mean in previous context.

I thought vapor disposition was the process used for the "mystic" coating on gemstones, and the aurora borealis finish on crystals???? But have no idea what vapor encapsulation would mean in previous context.

You're right. The Azotic company mentioned that people were using it on pearls, but no one is disclosing that they are selling pearls with the thin film of metal oxides often used in coating topaz and czs. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
You're right. The Azotic company mentioned that people were using it on pearls, but no one is disclosing that they are selling pearls with the thin film of metal oxides often used in topaz and czs. ;)
You guys should contact him. Might be good for a laugh. Be careful though. He'll want you to invest your money probably before you get off the phone. :p

Hi Mikeyy,
A little off topic, the yellow antibiotic for Tahitian nuclei, does the bead supplier provide that coating or the farm dipped them themselves? Do you know how that process is done? Just curious. Thanks.

Hi Mikeyy,
A little off topic, the yellow antibiotic for Tahitian nuclei, does the bead supplier provide that coating or the farm dipped them themselves? Do you know how that process is done? Just curious. Thanks.
It's the nuclei manufacturer who biocoats the nuclei. I can't really talk about the process. Well, Shouldn't talk about the process. As it is somewhat of a trade secret sort of thing. Like you couldn't figure it out. :rolleyes: But that's the way we send them. I don't really know if they ever do any additional treatments later on. You might check with Josh or Doug.

bio

bio

No, I did not mean to ask for trade secrets. :)

Just curious whether it's dipped, sprayed on and how long it took to dry and then shipped. Hmm. Now that I am more curious, they had to test the dosage on those oysters too. I am really appreciative of the whole farming process and all the work, money, dedication, and love involved. Thanks to those mollusks too.

By the way, who wears those necklaces that you have on the pandas? May I borrow?;) We pearl-guiders can timeshare those you know. We have to hydrate the strands with natural oil.

No, I did not mean to ask for trade secrets. :)

Just curious whether it's dipped, sprayed on and how long it took to dry and then shipped. Hmm. Now that I am more curious, they had to test the dosage on those oysters too. I am really appreciative of the whole farming process and all the work, money, dedication, and love involved. Thanks to those mollusks too.

By the way, who wears those necklaces that you have on the pandas? May I borrow?;) We pearl-guiders can timeshare those you know. We have to hydrate the strands with natural oil.
Oh you should see me when I'm all decked out...

Well I've said it before....... PUT 'EM ON ! :D

Back