Big gssp dilema!!!

moonpie

So I've got my golden yoko london south sea studs. Only problem is they look champagne yellow to me...but perfect luster (can clearly see my reflection) only 1 blemish on one and near perfect roundness.

But I wanted a deep gold!

Before I received these I was talking to someone at PP because my next purchase is a ring, then a necklace. But I'd have to wait a bit and save up for the ring after these earrings purchase. Now I'm wondering whether I should just return the earrings and get the ring because the lady I spoke to at PP did assure me the pearl would be a deep gold. But then the lady at yoko london told me the same thing!

Am I expecting it wrong, the post is 18k gold and there is a big difference in colour between the post and pearl. I will attach pics once we have some decent day light....

What if I return these and get the ring (which I will need to size so won't be able to return) and the pearl quality isn't the same? Or the colour is just the same as I've got? I will be heartbroken because I will have returned these studs!!

I've realised now the colour really doesn't come across in pictures.

Oh @*&$?^? argh! I'm so dissapointed! I've waited a month and done so much research....and I havnt fallen in love with my first ever purchase of pearls...I could cry. I really could cry.

Hi. Remember that, if you bought them online you can send them back for a full refund with no reason whatsoever. That's EU law.
In any case, if you stipulated you wanted deep gold and they didn't supply that, then you are still entitled to reject the items under UK law.

Moonpie,

It's so annoying but you really should return them. You'll be upset every time you look at them and at worst, you'll never wear them.

Take it as an inexpensive lesson in what to look for, what to ask for, and confirmation of what you really want. As I understand it, deep gold is the most expensive color by far. So anything that looks remotely like a bargain with these pearls probably isn't.

Why don't you ask PP to send you some pictures, showing you the color of the pearl compared to the color of the gold? I can live with little blemishes because you only them up closer than most people get, but luster and color has to be right.

An idea for the PP purchase could be to get the setting and the pearl separately, then have a local jeweler size the band and glue the pearl - if that would make the pearl still returnable.

- Karin

Moonpie, you have the right to want a pearl the color of 18K gold. I've seen pictures of that here on the forum. Not sure about the pricetag, though.

- Karin

Here they are

Attachments

• 1422615312298.jpg
    1422615312298.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 29
No its just the photo, whichever I put behind looked darker. I've never seen real life gssp's before only pictures so please tell me honestly if i am expecting it wrong and this is indeed deep gold or at least medium tone gold and not champagne...

I've seen plenty of rich deep gold. Those aren't a pale gold. i'd say medium.
But they don't float your boat. You have the right to return them and they have to refund. That's the law, if you bought online. It's a valuable protection for EU consumers.

Thank you Wendy.

I guess the 'problem' is a have a young baby with multiple severe health problems so my life right now is in and out of hospital. I don't feel right going shopping for myself without my baby...and it was only after my husband continually seeing me browsing online he pushed me to place an order, so if i do return these I only really have the option of online shopping right now.

I worry if i do return these what if I get something worse? Other then the online sellers I've found through here I havnt found gssp's in other UK based jewellery stores.

I know I could learn to love these

1409826602B01-080071-1[1].jpg
This was described to me as a Gold ..slightly darker than mid range Gold... I was looking to buy these a few months back.

But I don't know much about GSS .. so I'm sure someone out there can post you some photos . I know you are in England and have to consider Duty etc which can be substantial I'm sure .. I'm assuming that's why you were looking at London Jewelers. Maybe there is someone there who has a large selection of SS pearls and you could have a good look at the different colours..there is a large colour range plus the overtones as well..some seem green and some red-ish . Perhaps someone can post a photo to show the range of Gold. These are the only ones I have..and I don't know enough about the GSS to know how accurate the descriptions are.

Perhaps you could photo your earrings straight on ... the pearls facing the camera..on white paper towel ( a non reflective surface is best) .. and then we could get a better look at the colour.

For what it's worth..they look lovely ..

Thank you for saying so katbran. I didn't even begin to think about duty, I just prefer to shop somewhere where if there is a problem at least they are in the same country as you!

However I am about to break out of that because PP has the ring I'm after....I just don't know if i should wait and save for the ring or return these and have the ring right now!

So the price I'm quoted at PP may not be the final price for me? How does all of this work...?

On importation into any member state of the EU (that's including the UK of course) national purchase tax is payable - that is 20% in the UK. plus 6% duty on finished jewellery items
Once an item is imported into the EU it can move between member states without any further taxes or duty imposts.
(I used to teach EU law which is why I know all this stuff in theory. Theory helps when I arrive at the airport back from Hong Kong with a heavy case full of pearls and some big paperwork

Sorry Wendy I am so dense...I don't understand. So once I've purchased online, when and to who would I need to pay the tax to?

Well duh me, obviously the government but how and at what point do you pay this?

Last edited:
The shipping company will collect it on behalf of the government (and they usually charge an extra ?10 or ?12 for doing the customs clearance and tax and duty collection)
Plus international shipping....

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear about your baby. It must be a difficult time for you and your husband and I hope your baby gets well soon.

Not sure if it helps but here are some of my goldens. 3 were described as medium golden (the ones I set in YG) and the pair for the diamond huggies (set in WG) light golden. They are really hard to photograph correctly (and the overtones throws the true color off) so I've attached a few pics taken under different lighting condition here.

Deep goldens are unmistakeable I think...

P.s. I've no idea why the pics look so huge. It's not on purpose! Is there someway to resize the pics in PG?

Top 4 in balcony, natural light. Upper and middle left under light tent. Upper and middle right in shaded natural light (you can see my balcony fan reflected if you look closely). Bottom shots in crappy flouroscent light.
image.jpg

Indoor shaded light
image.jpg

Bathroom under warm white lighting
image.jpg

Shaded indoor lighting
image.jpg

Sorry but I dunno how to rotate the ear pic... I'm using iPad to post and it just happens sometimes... Flouroscent lighting
image.jpg

Back