Big gssp dilema!!!

Ah right, so the price I see on the site may not be the final price I pay. Thanks for informing me.

Well, not really. The price you see on the website is the final price you pay to the company, but a non-EU website does not show the total cost to you. There is a difference

Thank you for those pictures icyjade, it's helped me make up my mind.

It's the same here. You pay the vendor their price for the product and shipping (which is the only thing they have control over). Then the vendor ships it and when the item arrives at the border, the border officials will determine the duty based on the retail price of the item, where it came from, and what it is. You will be informed of how much you owe the government for this when you go to pick the package up, and will either pay the duty at FedEx or at the post office, depending on how the item has been shipped.

I think the photo size in this thread is wonderful, at least it is for my cell ph screen. They're all gorgeous.

Good wishes for your dear baby's health.

Yes, Moonpie. Pearl Paradise are located in the US. Last time I bought something from them to have sent to Denmark, I paid the price on the website to PP, then the Danish customs need ?14 fee for clearing the package plus sales tax/VAT (25% here) of the original price, the shipping cost and the fee. As I know this, I add it to my calculations when I consider a purchase.

The only member I know here within the EU is Wendy, Pearlessence. She does her own buying trips to Hong Kong. I also know PP is associated with a pearl company in Germany. You might ask them about that. Any prices from companies within the EU are final prices. If you return an item to outside of the EU, your duty, taxes and fees will not be returned as they have to do with the government, not the company.

My daughter is ill too and have been for several months, though not in hospital. My deepst sympathy.

- Karin

IcyJade, do you know of anywhere on line to get some Golay gssp like yours? They really are drool-worthy!

Sympathies to those with ill family members.

Moonpie -so sorry your little baby is sick..I do hope things improve quickly ! Such a stressful time.

IcyJade - once again thanks for posting photos of your stunning pearls..there is no doubt that you have some of the most gorgeous pearls out there ! I love the colour of the light gold just as much as the darker ones. How perfect to have both !!

Duty is difficult - a business has no way to predict what will be assessed. That's why most will say that taxes and duties are the responsibility of the buyer and leave it at that..they couldn't possibly sort out what is due when dealing with so many countries.
But ouch KarinK ... 25% hurts ... plus then there is the difference in the dollar and potential credit card fees for the currency transaction. It all adds up. Fortunately here in Australia..as long as the purchase price is below 1,000 AUD we don't have duty .. though with our plummeting dollar...that's only about 850 USD now... oh well..good for the exporters..

So yes Moonpie - if you are worried about the exact shade then you might do well to sort out something that can be easily returned... and I would recommend actually going into some place like Mikimoto or such and try to get a good look at some really dark gold ones... you might find you don't care for the colour. Like I said..I prefer the mid golds and darker champagnes ... which is good..they are a bit cheaper lol

Oh katbran I always love the colour of deep gold ;) I don't wear white gold or silver it just doesn't suit me!

I've heard so many fantastic things about PP now, and speaking to their representatives (which I'm always doing- they must be sick of me) so far I'm so pleased with their patience and willingness to help me (even model the ring I want). I won't deny there's that tiny voice in my mind saying "it's all a massive elaborate scam" (which wasn't helped by my dream last night of receiving see through plastic balls covered with something like clear with a tint of gold nail polish. ..from PP HA)!!!

But I am always a worry wart so that's to be expected. I'm awaiting pics from PP of their deep gold pearls, then I have every intention of going ahead and getting my dream ring!!!

I can't wait and once I have it I know to post pics here :)

Moonpie,

It is very wise of you to be on your guard and alert about on-line businesses. Better safe than sorry!

- Karin

Our 25% VAT is steep and it applies to everything - as well as everything we buy on-line outside the EU above a value of $15. It does pay for health care, free schools, etc. but even that thought doesn't keep me from buying what I can get at lower prices when abroad :)

- Karin

lol Moonpie... you certainly don't have to worry about PP ... there is NO scam there ! It just seemed like you were not sure what the deep gold actually looked like and I thought it would be best if you saw in it real life first. You certainly can rely on PP to do the right thing so be sure to get lots of photos in different light . Post some if you like...we always love photos !

Exactly my thoughts Karin.

Katbran, getting these yoko pearls did throw me...It made me think 'deep' gold might actually mean light gold (??) Or something In the world of pearls...because that representative assured me they would be a medium to dark gold. I guess I preferred the thought of my perceptions being wrong rather then think they misled me :(

However I'm once again assured deep should actually be deep gold, and if that's what I'm paying for that IS what I should get.

Thanks pearl guide members!

Thank you for all your kind comments re: my pearls/photos. All taken with iPhone 5 btw.

Moon pie: Hope you find the pearls that makes your heart sing soon. Based on my shopping experience with GSSP, it's the luster that blows me away (plus overtones), not the colors. I find myself falling for champagne GSSPs with fabulous luster n overtones too. The reason I haven't gotten any champagne is cos the color doesn't work for me...

Seaurchin: Golay doesn't have an online store but I think any vendor who goes to the HK fair should be able to find fabulous pearls for you. I tend to think that beautiful pearls are always out there, the only problem is whether you are willing to pay for them and if you are fated to meet them... Maybe 1 out of 30 pearls would catch my eye when I visit Golay? And with limited funds I can maybe buy 1 out of 5 items that I eye. Btw I've heard from Golay/Mr Panos that GSSP prices have gone up significantly over the last 2 years.

Moonpie - I've been reading you post with interest and agree that you have to be 100+% in love with your pearls or you'll never wear them. I can say that every pearl piece I've purchased from PP has been fantastic so I have great faith that your ring will be a deep, golden winner!

Well, I've ordered my *pearl* so let's wait and see! I am bursting with excitement!!!

Back