Bead store mashup ropes (or enbcfsobe learns to string beads on wire)

enbcfsobe

So I was waiting for my tassels to arrive....and I was crazy busy at work last week so I treated myself to a trip to the bead store despite the nasty weather. I had been admrining the Gellner-inspired tahitian and gemstone ropes that Purranha and Red posted a while back, as well as JerseyPearl's mermaid strand. So while I don't usually buy pearls at the bead store, I thought that I might be able to find some sort of dyed freshwaters that would be adequate to create a more budget-friendly and freeform version of my own.
I haven't strung beads using wire and crimps since I was in middle school, and the bead store was out of crimping pliers (?!?!), so I had to improvise with a few pairs of chain-nose pliers and a steady hand. I used some small sterling infinity lobster clasps I had hanging around, and strung up two ropes -- one around 48" and one around 32" (didn't measure the second, but it wraps around my wrist 5 times). I ended up using stainless jump rings just because I didn't have enough of the right size of sterling rings. Today I am wearing the longer one doubled and the shorter as a bracelet wrap.
I ended up with 3 strands of freshwater pearls: one gray plump baroque nugget, one dyed black doubled baroque, and one dyed black potatoes. None had measurements on the labels, and I don't have a caliper to measure, but I'd guess the potatoes are 8-8.5, greys are around 10-11, and doubles are around 9-10. The baroques mostly have one flat side. I also used 2.5mm-3mm labradorite rondelles, 2.5-3mm moonstone rondelles, 4-5mm moonstone rondelles, 5-6mm labradorite faceted rounds, and 2.5-3mm black spinel rondelles. It was a combo of stuff I bought and what was in my stash.
Anyways here's what I ended up with. Lots of fun to make (though I'm not sure I really did the crimps right -- fingers crossed!).
IMG_5716[1].jpg
IMG_5717[1].jpg

Thanks, PearlDreams & JerseyPearl! I was pretty happy with the results given the limited options available due to my need for semi-instant gratification. My 3-year-old really liked them -- funny enough, despite the overall color scheme being very grey, he said he liked "all the different colors." I love looking at what everyone is making/buying on PG -- it has inspired me to start making jewelry again!

Got a notice that says my tassels have arrived, so hopefully I will have time to rig one up tonight! I also found out thru this last project that I love how stainless looks with darker pearls. I'm thinking about weaving a long chain for a tahitian drop pendant (just have to find a pearl I like that I can actually afford!)

Thanks so much, KatBran - it was fun to be a little spontaneous and random after spending hours sorting and re-sorting pearls for my last project.

Thanks, LD -- I wear a ton of grey and black, so these seemed to be a way of adding some "sparkle" to my sortof dreary pallette without going either too blingy or overly colorful.

Someday perhaps I will restring with some luscious tahitians!

Who's looking at the crimps? What fun necklaces! Gorgeous.

That's really nice, enbcfsobe! Please post more photos and close-ups :)

I like! It looks like something I'd make and wear. ;) I'm finding myself drawn more towards the irregular shaped pearls these days- they just reflect light in such neat ways. I think you'll get a lot of use from those strands and I can't wait to see what you do with the tassels!

Thanks, all!
BWeaves -- I'm not so much worried about how the crimps look (I used covers on them), but about whether they hold!! I'd hate to have all those teeny-tiny stones scattered about. At the same time, I'm less concerned than I would be if I had used more expensive materials.
Tucs -- thanks so much, a few more photos below!
madsciencechick & Happy Huku, thanks so much :) Happy Huku, is your avatar piece shown in larger format anywhere? it looks lovely!
amti, I've also been into funky shapes and colors. i find they work well to dress up my more casual style (and budget!) the tassels came in and are lovely, but I didn't have time to do anything with them yet. maybe over the weekend.

Some detail shots...
IMG_5742[1].jpgIMG_5746[1].jpgIMG_5748[1].jpgIMG_5749[1].jpg

Longer strand worn tripled
IMG_5760[1].jpg

Combined strands (5 wraps)
IMG_5764[1].jpg

Many thanks again for all the encouragement!

Oooooh, I like this even more now that I see the close ups! The variation of colored stones works beautifully with the pearls. And those peanut shaped pearls are great. To test the strength of crimps, I give a couple of good tugs on the strand, very carefully over a towel (those tiny beads can bounce like nobody's business). If you are super worried, maybe a drop of superglue gel at the crimp (under the cover) would help? But really, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Ooohhhhh those neck shots show the colours much better, how very lovely!

Thank you! There are some photos of my avatar in the De Stash Bash thread, posts #125 and #160.

Great neck shots, love them tripled.

I love this! So inspiring to see such pretty, wearable pearl creations made with a variety of gemstone rondelles.

ahhh! ..just stumbled across this post! ..love the pearl and stone strands worn together! ..I need to visit my stash and get to work!

Back