Bead Nucleus Freshwater Pearls Artical in New York Times today

ah beat me too it GemGeek, I was just about to post - interesting piece.

I just combined 2 threads already! But I think this is a significant article. The Chinese Cultured Freshwater Pearl is being perfected, both in the non-nucleated form and the nucleated. And we are the cutting edge who knows about it! :cool:

I couldn't help reacting to the information about how the workers conditions. Usually that kind of thing doesn't get to me, but it did make me feel good about having pearl farmers on PG who do things differently.

- Karin

Perfection?

Chinese lustrous round pearls, Chinese grand pianos, Chinese luxury cars, Chinese champagne.

And the Grandaddy of them all?Chinese acid rain.

(Tongue grazing cheek?but food for thought.)

Quality always has a market. Whether it be Chinese or Western. It is a great time for consumers. And acid rain. I am afraid we have seen nothing yet. But at least they also manufacture solar panels. I am more concerned about their future nuclear reactors.

3hzzk54
We viewed the Edison pearls at Pearl Paradise two weeks ago, They are beautiful.

Last edited:
Wow, so amazingly beautiful!.... How did I miss seeing those?

3o48wvf
I called Chanai today with this photo to get information on the other wrinkled pearls next to the Edison's. Awaiting an answer. Both are beautiful.

I worked with the NYT writer for a while on this article, including making introductions in China. We first met about it in 2008. The article was supposed to be a lot longer than it was, but it was moved to A1, so the editors cut it in half because it couldn't be longer than 1100 words:( I am in Denmark right now and he is in Taiwan, so we couldn't confer on the final piece before it went to print, but it did turn out well!

The 'Edison' (yick name) are very pretty as are the kasumi-ish ones. I got some of each last year in HK - Pattye had a strand of the gold leaf wrinkly kasumi-ish ones and I am wearing a strand of the very big bead nuked natural colours pearls as I type. I picked them one by one from a tub of undrilleds.
There were more gold leaf pearls about in June

I worked with the NYT writer for a while on this article, including making introductions in China. We first met about it in 2008. The article was supposed to be a lot longer than it was, but it was moved to A1, so the editors cut it in half because it couldn't be longer than 1100 words:( I am in Denmark right now and he is in Taiwan, so we couldn't confer on the final piece before it went to print, but it did turn out well!

It has made quite a splash for a news article- 3 people posted the article!

A friend of mine forwarded this article to me when it was published and I was happy for one reason only!.... I could post it on my blog.. and all I had to write next to it was YUCK!
I am always happy when pearls are featured in the news.. bringing education and awareness to the masses.. however I believe pearls to be the ultimate in feminine elegance... I hope that some of this rubs off on this guy SOON! Overproduction, Overfishing and assembling strands with the use of photos (although a brilliant way to cut down on those pesky slave labor charges)... will not keep the elegance in his products... bead nucleated or not!
?When I drive myself, I prefer the Ferrari 360, it?s more fun,? he explained on the way to dinner. The meal included a soup made from wild lake turtle, a delicacy that has become increasingly rare. More people in this part of China can now afford the delicacy, and that has led to overfishing.

I will be in Hong Kong on Tuesday, August 16 and I will pay them a visit and have a look at those Edison pearls but not so interested to pay a high price for the owner to drive a Ferrari

Back