baroque earrings??

Pearly-Pearly

Community member
For Christmas I made my mother a simple pendant with a baroque tahitian. Now, she wants matching earrings. Does anyone ever do baroque earrings? I feel like that will prove quite a challenge as far as matching. If you do earrings like this, what is your tolerance for difference between the two? Also, where would you look for loose pearls to use? I got the original one I used from a mini strand I bought from Carolyn Ehret on ebay. Man, I knew I should have kept the pearls to myself :D

You mean make them or sell them? I have several pairs of baroque earrings - all made by others. I don't know how difficult it was to find two similar pearls.

Hmmm, well I got some south sea earrings from druzy design that are baroque drops. They are a bit different in shape but similar enough to go well together so I think it can be done just fine. My tahitian drop earrings are not identical either in shape but a great match in color and look just fine.

I have several small lots of loose tahitians I am playing around with (all drop, baroque and semi-round). Nothing matches perfectly because you have 4 variables...length, width, body color and overtone...to deal with. Even having shopped for dangly ones, I never saw a pair that was 100% perfect.

That having been said, I have several pairs finished right now (may try a couple on ebay sometime...) that are *very* close. I also noticed that if you are willing to use gold or silver bead caps or larger beads to cover the tips of the drops, you are much more likely to get a match.

Acksim,

Can you post a photo of the pearls you used so we can get a good idea of what you are up against. If you bought from Carolyn they must be good quality but getting something to match after a while might take a little time.

But saying that the tolerance on baroque earrings should not be too tuff. Just have to choose a roughly matching pair, which is hard but not impossible. Then you explain (maybe) that each pearl is an island and unless she wants imitation shell pearls ... well you get the drift. :) I guess it depend on how many similar ones you bought at the time. Many out here might have the same or similiar.

I recently did an off the top of my head quote (under great stress) on a pair of drop baroque pearl earrings and was so glad later when the lady went for something different as I realised that what I quoted for the pair of earrings didn't cover the pearls, not even near. I had been in a rush and just grabbed a few close matching pairs to show her for an idea of what I had :( not for a quote. I broke a whole strand to find two pearls that were roughly close. No kidding.

Really it comes down to Do the Best with what you have and I am sure she will be happy. Each pearl is an Island.

Bodecia

Back