Baroque Akoya

Baroque Akoya Pearls

Baroque Akoya Pearls

These pearls themselves have very little value. In this case, it appears they are using pearls that may have cost as little as $35 dollars total. The 18k gold chain has far more value. Like anything though, if you use inexpensive pearls in a fashionable way, you can charge far more for them than the pearls, by themselves, are worth.

Looking at these pearls closely in the picture, they do have heavy blemishing and are treated (dyed).

Here's an example of a similar style of necklace made with AAA quality, genuine Tahitian pearls for less than twice the cost, but worth more than 10 times as much (and that is being conservative).

Tahitian Station Necklace

The pearls you posted Terry,are beautiful. There isn't any comparison between the two necklaces..

You are right.
The gold would be worth more.

Probably a lot of people don't research before purchasing pearls. Since most people haven't seen baroque Akoya pearls they would probably think this necklace was very unique. In fact they might even like the blemishes on the pearls.They probably wouldn't know Akoya are never naturally black.

Whoever bought these pearls might even brag that they had a Akoya ,black baroque pearl necklace.

I have one relative who thinks she has a very valuable Akoya necklace.It's not Akoya, It's freshwater. She takes very good care of it. I don't have the heart to tell her differently.

Another relative has a freshwater pearl necklace that she purchased from a shopping channel. She thinks it's worth much more than what she paid for it.

I really cannot imagine why they (Nordstroms) would make this piece with dyed, lower than commercial grade Akoya...ugh!

The only thing I see going for it is the fact that each link has apparently been hand-twisted on wire. Using baroque Tahitians would be such a better choice - so much more valuable and pleasing to the eye. I am just not a huge fan of baroque Akoya I guess...

Back