Authentic Biwa Pearls?

pattye

Pearl Scholar
I have been offered some undocumented, but supposedly genuine Biwa pearls by someone who was formerly in the jewelry supply biz, not anyone here on P-G. Here is a photo, with some of my own fw "rice krispy" pearls on the right.

The pearls are quite inexpensive, and nothing I read in Strack indicates they could not be Biwa's. The luster is quite nice, with some overtones; they are creamier in color than my strand. There are a few pearls on each strand that are obviously dull.

What do you all think? Has anyone seen genuine Biwas like these?

Are they "probably" Biwas? Or just early Chinese FW?

Thanks for your thoughts! Besides how bad these photos are!!

IMGP1796_resize.jpg

IMGP1798_resize.jpg

IMGP1797_resize.jpg

What are the dimensions? 90% of the rice krispies were dyed and those seem to be un-dyed and they have nice luster....but the shape is right for RK's

They are small, about 3.5-4mm x 6-7mm. Would be about $2 per strand. Strack sez there were many rice shape produced. She didn't say "krispy" though!

Caitlin, I thought I had this in the consumer q&a column, could you move it, please, I am sooooo sorry.

Last edited:
I have sooooo much to learn... I thought rice krispies were more kinda cornflake shaped ie flat & wrinkly, rather than rice grain shaped & wrinkly. Like colour names, I suppose its semantics, perception and local meanings. Our cereal shaped like those is called rice bubbles.

If you saw them listed as Biwas on eBay with that photo, would you believe the seller was telling the truth? ;)

Blaire,

Exactly!! That's why I took the first photo showing the "Biwa" pearls on the left, and my whiter rice Chinese fw on the right (first photo).

I did purchase a few strands before posting this, which is how I got that first photo. Curiosity got the better of me!

when I look at the pearls they don't coconut my lamington!

You know shes this funny IRL too...

Im looking closely at the shine, is it just me? It looks like a surface polish rather than lustre from within?

That is just their natural shine. These type of pearls, except for the time spent drilling, nobody is going to spend much time on--they have little value.

Really, the luster is the only thing they have going for them--------

Bernadette, you are just a hoot!

My thought is if you can't see and tell the difference, then it doesn't really matter, except for academic interest, does it?

IMO, Chinese FW, but Bernadette, you did make laugh...

They really look like old rice pearls from China
X2 - but if the price is right and you like them, why not? Who cares what they are called, will you enjoy them more if in the back of your mind you know they are biwa?

Back