Are these akoya pearls?

raggdoll

This is a graduated strand, with 4,5-8,5mm pearls. Clasp is silver. I got it for a really good price so I took a chance and bought it, thinking that the pearls were really pretty and looking like akoyas. They are perfectly round and have a slight pink overtone. And they are definitely "real" pearls :)

What do you think? They need restringing and I was also thinking about changing the clasp for a nicer 18k gold one that I have. I believe these pearls are nice quality and would look even nicer with a prettier clasp, but I am really new to pearls and find it hard to tell things like shine and quality of pearls.

I apologize if my pictures are a bit dark, we have a shortage of daylight here at the moment. (I can take more pictures tomorrow if these are to blurry for you).

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 33
Raggdoll, yes, these would be akoya, and very nice size! they will be gorgeous with a bath and restringing. I do like the silver clasp, too, though I understand why you might like to change it out. Please do share another photo after these have been restrung! Congratulations on a great find!

Thank you! I am planning on restringing them myself, even though I have never done it before. A bit nervous but I'll do some (a lot of) research before I start and then hope for the best :) Will share pictures if it turns out ok!!

I agree-- nice quality akoya pearls in good condition! Great find!

We have stringing tutorials in the Lowly Beaders Club forum here, and Pattye has a very good synthetic thread, needles and gimp in her Etsy shop. Stringing isn't hard, especially with that nice slippery thread-- it's pretty foolproof, actually.

Lucky! That is one gorgeous necklace! Curious about how much you got this for? ;)

Concur with akoya, and with recommendations to use beaders secret for the rethreading. It's a pretty strand taboot! Love the clasp too.

The pearls do look great. With a bath and a re-string, I think you'll be pretty tickled!

Back