Are these AA quality tahitians?

adidaem

Hi, I just got a new pearl necklace that I ordered. It's supposed to be AA quality 8.0 to 10.5 mm tahitians.

I see some white nucleus where there are deep inclusions. I haven't had time to do proper count but there are at least 6 pearls with such deep inclusions. Did I get a AA/A+ quality strand instead?

Took some photos but unable to post until I get back home.

May I know what sort of blemish is expected on an AA quality strand?

I'm not a great expert on Tahitians but there is no way that any pearl legally exported should have visible nucleus. If you look in the tahitian section of the guide then there is more info.
From where did these pearls come?

Here are the pics.

In this shot the third pearl from the tag (greenish) one is an example of the blemish I was referring to. The deep dimples can be seen in the others but I think those where I see the white nucleus distresses me the most:
photo-33.jpg

In this shot, the pearl on the right of the tag has those deep dimples again.
photo-34.jpg

Realised that I forgot to take the one where the nucleus is visible from the drill location.

Was taking the pics in the midst of a crazy work day with my iPhone so the quality isn't great but I hope it is clear enough for the experts here to weigh in. What do you think? Did I get an AA quality strand?

Hi adidaem,

Sorry, unable to see what you are talking about in the photos.

First, how is AA/A+ defined by the company you bought the pearls from? Most will explain their grading system.

This grade is given to the overall strand, not individual pearls. So it is possible that for color matching and roundness, which appear very good on the part of the strand I am seeing, a pearl might be included that would be A+ or even slightly lower. One should expect some blemishes on an AA/A+ strand.

Exactly how many pearls show what you call white nucleus? We would like to see photos of these, please.

Are you overall not happy with this strand? You are sounding like it just doesn't "ring your bell."

Thanks Pattye.

It's an AA strand with moderate blemishing. Description includes "pearls exhibit moderate blemishing, but no major inclusions".
AA definition is: flawless on at least 70% of pearl?s surface, only 30% of pearl?s surface may exhibit slight, concentrated imperfections

Does visible nucleus fall under 'major inclusions' category?

I am happy with the colour matching and roundness. But it is not an AA/A+ strand, so I did not expect deep inclusions with visible nucleus. (A+ definition on the seller's site includes "deep inclusions are limited to 10% of pearl?s surface". This description is not used for AA definition.)

I will try to take photo of the pearls with visible nucleus at/near the drill site (found 2 so far) tomorrow.

I have re-attached the photos indicating where the blemishes I am referring to are. In real life the white nucleus is pretty visible.
photo-33_edit.jpgphoto-34_edit.jpg

"Are you overall not happy with this strand? You are sounding like it just doesn't "ring your bell.""
Happy with colour and matching. Not with the deep inclusions which I wasn't expecting. And the visible nucleus makes me worried about the nacre thickness.

So if I look from far - happy.
Look close-up - not happy.

:confused:

Which leads me to ask one possibly indiscreet question - did you pay an astonishingly low price for it?

I'd be very unhappy with a WHITE visible nucleus, not so unhappy with a dark nucleus, because how would one know?

and a general question - is Josh the only farmer using Tahitian-shell beads to seed the pearls?

I didn't know Tahitians would be seeded with white beads.

Last edited:
Hi Lisa, what would be an astonishingly low price?
Unfortunately, I don't think I did, otherwise I would expect to take the 'hit' for the low price. What do you think will be a fair price for the strand like this?
And I wasn't sure if the pearls are really normal for an AA quality strand. Reaction on opening the package was - yay, hmm, huh?

I don't want to reveal which seller I got this from before I hear more unbiased views.
There are a few more highly blemished pearls that I could try to take more pics of. Again, the blemished pearls are very visible in real life. My photography isn't great and I don't think I got the right angle either.

As I understand it, tahitian pearls must have a minimum nacre thickness of 0.8mm in order to be kosher - they are not legal for export, otherwise. So if there is a nacre dent showing the bead, they are illegals. Not a question of AA v A or whatever - but illegal pearls altogether.

It sounds like you will be happier returning the strand. I mean, in theory it doesn't really matter what we think of it - other than to discuss if the description is off. But with pearls this round and this not being the deal of the decade, I would return the strand :)

- Karin

Being able to see the nucleus is not blemishing. It is, as I said, an indicator of unlawfully exported pearls which are required by Tahitian law to have a min nacre thickness all round.
Bluntly, did these come from a seller with a reputation to maintain or someone from an on-line auction site (ebay, etsy etc)?

I couldn't imagine accepting a Tahitian strand which has a pearl with the nucleus showing (at any price)-- I would send them back.

That white you are seeing is not the nucleus. Sometimes you'll see light colors within a deeper blemish. If you were to get to the nucleus it would be a smooth porcelanic surface.

Yes, VERY VERY reputable seller (not eBay or Etsy), which is why I was surprised to see the nucleus on some of the pearls. It is a smooth white surface that I am seeing through the nacre, not light/uneven colors and my count (of highly blemished pearls) did not include the lighter blemishes as that would be expected of AA quality pearls.

I came to the conclusion that I am seeing the nucleus after examining the deepest blemishes. I'll post more photos of the pearls with icky drill sites and dents later. Unfortunately still iPhone shots as I couldn't find my camera to take proper macro shots. In real life, I am doubtful anyone would say that it is not the nucleus.

No I have not contacted the seller as I was debating keeping the strand, just cos I like the colors. My colleagues agree that the color suits me. But after hearing from you ladies I think I will ask for a return, though it is a pain from where I am located.

Tahitians can show white nacre, but that would be in the nacre, on the surface of the pearl, not at the bottom of a deep flaw, which is what seems to be happening with these pearls.

Deep flaws very often show white and it is not the nucleus - that's why a lot of circled strands are dark, but a deep ring appears to be gray to white. In fact, when a nucleus is showing through a Tahitian pearl, it isn't usually white. It's black to gray, and it isn't opaque like the nacre of the pearl, so it has almost a cat eye look to it. What is circled in the photos is discolored nacre within a flaw and not the nucleus. When you see Tahitians that do have the nucleus showing (like here in Hong Kong at the show at times), it is where the nacre has broken offer because it is too thin.

That is interesting Jeremy.

This is why I love P-G-- always lots to learn!

OP, you just have to decide if you like the pearls well enough for whatever you paid for them. If that flaw bothers you so much that it spoils the strand's appeal for you (even though we now know it isn't nucleus showing) then send it back. Only you know if you can overlook it.

photo-38_edit.jpgphoto-36_edit.jpgphoto-37_edit.jpgphoto-35_edit.jpg

Ok, tried to take as close up as possible without blurring the photo.

This is fascinating!

I know from 'black' shells I collected on a beach, that colors are layered, thin layers with wildly different colors. The layers are sometimes so thin that they can be rubbed off, on the shell.

I didn't suspect that a white layer of nacre could be laid down in a dark pearl. Its amazing! I wonder how often it happens.

Of course, now that I think about it, we see light to white bands on circled Tahitians frequently, correct? Often enough that we accept it as normal. So this deep layer of white nacre could be just as normal a variation!?! Simply amazing, what we learn here!

GemGeek has earrings with this 'polka - dot' look.

I guess it's a variation we either like or don't.

Last edited:
Didn't we cover this same issue some time ago. In the other thread on this subject there was a photo of a smeared white divot then a slight streak. It was the very beginning of a circle on the pearls. Personally, I like the fully circle better than the white divots I really like the necklaces that Jose makes our of these pearls.http://www.tahitianpearls.biz/tahitian-pearl-necklace/multi-colour-tahitian-pearl-necklace-tnmm.htm
This necklace at this link shows how Tahitians can vary in color when they are circle. I happen to LOVE this style of necklace. This one is a great example of this phenomena to the nth degree.
The 7th pearl up on the right has the exact same divot with white showing, but they all started like that.

I also like the color of your pearls. Tahitians are often flawed. Those divots can be like chicken pox, and a necklace without them is very rare indeed- and get the top prices because those divots are so common..http://www.tahitianpearls.biz/tahiti...klace-tnmm.htm Go to the site to be able to see it in closeup.

Attachments

• www.tahitianpearlsdoybiz 2012-9-18.jpg
    www.tahitianpearlsdoybiz 2012-9-18.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 40
Back