Are these AA quality tahitians?

Adidaem, I wasn't ignoring your question about money, I just don't have a sound basis for answering it:(.

What's a lot to me is a pittance to someone else... Ah! Maybe that means I shouldn't have posed the question?

Last edited:
I've seen a variety of Tahitians from a lot of different sellers including the L.A. jewelry district (over-all not good), gem shows (depends), Jeremy's vault (awesome), Josh's treasure trove. I've seen a lot of different blemishing and circles, pits etc. some don't bother me, and some are clearly indicative of illegal imports, but I buy or pass on pearls based on my own gut. I personally would pass on these based on these pics, if I were buying them as a strand unless the price was super good, and I was looking for project pearls. You can PM me if you want a price point I think is reasonable, but it is subjective base just on the shots. If you have this many questions and are planning on these being a strand for yourself, I'd send them back. You'll never get past the doubts.

Think I'll move on and not bother with more pics. Thanks to everyone who weighed in on the subject.

I guess Sheryl summed it up about never getting past the doubts. Even if I meant for the pearls to be a gift, I would not have gotten this strand if I had known about the deep blemishes. These blemishes were not visible from the pictures on the seller's website. And if I keep and wear them, I think I will always be conscious of the blemishes (and they are highly visible in real life!). I guess no matter what, that's the difference with buying online and in real life. Always better to be able to see the pearls before buying.

Haven't even taken the necklace out from the box except to examine/photograph the pearls. The total lack of excitement vs the metallic FWP I got earlier shows how little I have bonded with this strand. =P

Sigh.

It's true about buying in person being ideal ...but if it were not for being able to buy online, I wouldn't have many of the pearls I own.

All in all, I'm happy to buy online as long as there is a good return policy. I haven't had to return anything yet, but knowing I could do so if necessary makes all the difference.

adidaem, next time you order a Tahitian strand, see if you can request a few photos of the strand you would receive. If it doesn't please you, you might go up a half grade and try again.

Last edited:
This thread has been very valuable to me. I, too, wondered if the white blemishes I saw on my string of low-priced Tahitians were a sign of inadequately thin nacre. Great discussion of the different layers and colors possible! I feel better about my cheapies now :)

Hi Pearl Dreams, definitely going to ask for photos and ask questions for my next strand. Learning points for all newbies! :)

Hi Louise, any photos of your tahitians to share?

Polka Dot Pearls? I have kasumi pearl earrings that are messy, but I don't have any pitted tahitian earrings. Maybe you mean my Buddha belly pearl necklace? That one has a few holes. :)

I bet the Kasumi earrings are the ones I'm thinking of.

Adidaem, maybe the grade is skewed toward the roundness and not the surface quality. I could live with blemishes on a cheapo strand, but this one is too nice to have such stinkers on it. You'll find "the one" eventually and then you'll have to share it with us! :cool:

GemGeek: I don't know how the grading was skewed but certainly didn't expect the surface quality blemishes. One pearl on the strand (not photographed) could almost qualify for the 'polka dot club'! Yes, I shall save up for 'the one'. For now 'the one' is leaning towards an eggplant with nice overtones...

Back