Are Pearl Party Oysters Dangerous? A UK investigation.

I work in a hospital in the US. Recently a small jar of formalin fell to the floor in the pathology department and broke . It was regarded as a major hazardous materials spill and had to be reviewed by the hospital safety committee and reported to the state. All employees who were in the area had to report to employee health and were given follow up monitoring plans.

The original post says 2 oysters were tested, and the first one was negative for formaldehyde/formalin. I'd be interested to know if the testing showed what that first oyster was preserved with? Was testing done on either for bacteria etc., or just for formaldehyde/formalin? Dangerous materials, good warnings.

Kat, I was actually saying the more exposure you have, the greater the risks...but that doesn't mean a single exposure isn't harmful. Unfortunately, all it takes is once to increase that risk...and the more times you are exposed the greater that risk becomes. It is classified as a probable carcinogen here in the states, which means that you should not be using the stuff without proper protection. A concentration as what was found in the oyster is not ambient level...it is very high.

You have cleared it up for me :) I was in a bit of a rush and should have taken a bit more care in what I was saying. I agree with you and that's basically where I was going or trying to go..
No product or process that has potential long term effects can be considered completely safe even in short term use. When I sat on the Childrens hospital Human Research Ethics Committee for many years we always had issues like this where it needed to be spelled out that certain treatments or processes have no recognised 'safe' levels. Such as X-Rays. We don't really think about it ... but there is no safe level of radiation and somewhere in the various papers you sign it's going to say that. One X-ray increases your risk .. Each additional x ray adds to the risk. No one can say that any specific number of X-rays are safe...therefore non are safe.

There is now research that shows potential links between hair dyes and breast cancer in women. Up to a 14% increase in the disease amongst women who dye their hair. More research will be done, but hair dye was a source of known carcinogens for a long time. They have removed some but not all.

I'm not saying Formaldehyde is safe...it's toxic ... and the problem with the pearl parties seems to be in the concentration used in the Oysters. I can well imagine the slap dash method of preserving them that is used in these Chinese factories. I'm sure that the concentration varies wildly from batch to batch and within each batch. That is certainly something that should be looked at. I have to assume that the UK has approved the importation of these with the knowledge that some Formaldahyde was being used as a preservative. Perhaps Wendy has some insight as to what information would need to be provided. I'd be shocked if they didn't have to disclose all information on dead shellfish.

Most certainly everyone who will be handling these oysters should be made aware of the variation in the levels of the chemical and urges to take precautions.

As for Erics comments about alcohol and Formaldehyde in the human body being a result of alcohol... I have no idea about that. But research from the FDA says that Formaldehyde is "produced naturally in the human body and is essential in the production of certain amino acids. "

Yes formaldehyde is found in everyday life, but this is at relatively low levels. The contents of the oyster that tested positive was very high. Even the analyst that tested the oysters was shocked at such a high reading. While we would have liked to have tested more oysters, and for more things, the girls and I running the page are just average working class girls. The testing was very expensive and came out of our own pockets. To test just for formaldehyde in 2 oysters was just over £500!
We chose to test for formaldehyde as we had seen lots of chatter online that it was a possibility, but could find nothing definitive. This was also the most toxic thing we had heard was in them. Having seen many party hosts appearing to have symptoms that would be consistent with being in contact with formaldehyde, we wanted to make this test our priority. We understand that this by no means enough testing. But could not get the UK trading standards etc to take notice as what we were trying to warn of was just hearsay. Having passed these results to them they are now taking it very seriously. They have the funds to do much more extensive testing than we do.
We also believe that the other oyster was preserved in 97% ethanol, 1% methanol and 2%water. We obtained this information from a wholesaler who says this is how hers are preserved, although without testing it would be difficult to know how true this is. We have informed trading standards of this and they will no doubt check this too.

Last edited:
You have cleared it up for me :) I was in a bit of a rush and should have taken a bit more care in what I was saying. I agree with you and that's basically where I was going or trying to go..

I think the solution is simple : to get any guarantees from suppliers that their oysters are preserved in ethanol (which is anyway the right manner to do), without formaldehyde.
Without these covenants, no orders, and suppliers will quickly understand where is their own interest.
Edit : maybe a few customs states are more picky with alcohol import than any other chemicals, because they might be more knowledgeable about tax questions than people health... To answer, 70% alcohol is not the strongest, but now it's well known by scientifics that it is the right percentage for the best of bactericidal effect, against strong alcohol as that was believing before.

Last edited:
Unfortunately Eric those selling these oysters are aware of the problem but are too greedy to care. Which means that the only option we have is to wait for the authorities to act. This will take some time as they will have to do more extensive testing than we were able to do.

Pearlescence, we are still a part of the EU now and yet these oysters are still here. So I don't think in or out will actually make a difference to the problem.

Well... What a pity if suppliers, even warned, become not more carefully for health of their clients, as you say. Power of money is incredible, to kill or make oneself let die and everybody around for just a pearls' handle. A time when safety is number one for all people's mind, devil stays well covered in details...

Last edited:
Thank you, Pearl Dreams... My poor english is annoying for everybody, I should so much want to talk easier with you.
Brexit or not, danger of formaldehyde is valid for all the earth, where are sold these oysters.
It's also a problem with web market, where weapons, sometimes, or very dangerous chemicals, always, can be bought easely, even in Europe, even to europeen sellers. Customs can't right control such a great number of shipments. It's why I have suggested a buyers' action itself. It's why, also, I have explained an other right way to preserve oysters without dangers fo users, to give to buyers any means to negociate with producers, according to the interest of everyone.

Last edited:
Thank you, Pearl Dreams... My poor english is annoying for everybody, I should so much want to talk easier with you.
Brexit or not, danger of formaldehyde is valid for all the earth, where are sold these oysters.
It's also a problem with web market, where weapons, sometimes, or very dangerous chemicals, always, can be bought easely, even in Europe, even to europeen sellers. Customs can't right control such a great number of shipments. It's why I have suggested a buyers' action itself. It's why, also, I have explained an other right way to preserve oysters without dangers fo users, to give to buyers any means to negociate with producers, according to the interest of everyone.

Not annoying for me Eric. Your English is pretty good. I understand everything you say. Must be annoying for you that you don't always understand us though.
Customs could probably control it better if the oysters were labeled as oysters. But they are not they come into the UK labeled as loose pearls.

Yep, that's not a small bug! I should be interested to know frensh import label, the same as in UK, I think.
That makes me think of biggest freshwater pearls'beads which can make with tridacna clams nacre, protected specy... But if these beads are difficult to identify by customs, that's less for the difference between pearls and oysters!

Yep, that's not a small bug! I should be interested to know frensh import label, the same as in UK, I think.
That makes me think of biggest freshwater pearls'beads which can make with tridacna clams nacre, protected specy... But if these beads are difficult to identify by customs, that's less for the difference between pearls and oysters!

Customs here will just have to start looking a little closer at all shipments of pearls coming into the country.

Hopefully customs may enforce to have clearer labelling in the future xx

I don’t mind if my pearls take an extra week to arrive if customs have to start checking every package marked pearls? If it means these things are found and stopped from entering the country.

I don’t mind if my pearls take an extra week to arrive if customs have to start checking every package marked pearls? If it means these things are found and stopped from entering the country.

Me too Pixie. At least people will be safe and not at risk to any harmful chemicals

Back