Appraising South Sea Keshi...

Stellar Gem

Hi everyone...just new to this site so please bear with me. ...I'll do my best to keep up.
Now and then in my gem and jewellery appraisal biz, I encounter a unique piece. Today, a lady in her late '80's brought me a keshi necklace to appraise. She received it from a Burmese friend in the 1960's and was told that it indeed originated in Burma. With the keshi on the larger side with an average size of 9.1 mm, it seems to me that the pearls are likely South Sea keshi (?).
Now the luster isn't fantastic but I'm wondering if the size alone would give these some value, say in the $500 range. The strand is 17"

Am I on the right track or undervaluing? Thanks for any help you can provide...doesn't hurt to ask, does it...

Heather

Attachments

• Keshi Strand 2.jpg
    Keshi Strand 2.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Keshi Strand Closeup 1.jpg
    Keshi Strand Closeup 1.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 36
They look like early freshwater pearls to me too. Keishi of any sort just don't have that flat surface. Pearls worth very little. just a few $ if that.
They could be local freshwater...but cultured chinese freshwater is most probable. people have been saying the pearls are local to get the sale for many years

Definitely NOT South Sea Keshi.

Thanks for asking Katbran, Bron and I are enjoying farm life now that the south easterlies have begun. Life in regards the weather is quite predictable now until maybe November. We've nearly finished a total rebuild of our operations room on the end of the wharf. Currently cleaning last years wild harvest Maxima virgins for seeding in June. Over the next few weeks we'll be Mabe seeding Maxima and Pteria Penguin shell. We let the Maxima get a little dirty over the North westerly season so we can harvest juvenile Pteria Penguin shell from the panels. Good results this year as we are harvesting an average of five shells to each maxima panel. As a small operator, we are able to do this and find it quite enjoyable. Rearing the juveniles up to seeding size is Bronwyn's pet project. Mind you the panels are much harder to clean by leaving them for a longer period. I've probably rattled on a bit there but, you did ask.

Hi Rusty. Please DO "rattle on a bit" ... it's fascinating reading for us :)

R&B -- your report is just fascinating to read as a lay person. If you can add pictures of your operations, we'd love it!

Oh, that's delightful news ... and something wonderful to look forward to with thanks, Rusty!

Back