Another fraudulent ad.

If only wishing could make it so ...

If you remember my post on United States Pearl from Tucson, you should recognize this photo of the same product - definitely United States Pearls! ;)

uspearl.jpg

EDIT -- They're the SAME PEARLS!!!! :eek::eek: I can't believe how people "embellish" on eBay! While they were supposedly languishing in a vault, I was taking this photo!

Last edited by a moderator:
I corresponded with the seller and he's selling them for a guy who gave the story that he wouldn't part with them, but he needs the cash right away, etc. The seller says, yep, they're the same pearls in the photo. His "friend" will get a surprise tomorrow...

Can you imagine being "outed" by the pearl police? ;)

If you remember my post on United States Pearl from Tucson, you should recognize this photo of the same product - definitely United States Pearls! ;)

View attachment 3073

EDIT -- They're the SAME PEARLS!!!! :eek::eek: I can't believe how people "embellish" on eBay! While they were supposedly languishing in a vault, I was taking this photo!

Hi, I can't find your post from Tucson. Are these fake or something? Thanks. Tom Stern

Considering that the pearls were just purchased in Tucson, these selling points are amazing:

*Up for sale is rare 30 year collection of 110 Mississippi River natural pearls.

*This collection belongs to an old pearl dealer I work with. He collected these pearls over the past 30 years.

*They sat in a safe for many years until I ran into them a couple of days ago.

They are really cool-looking in person, though. ;)

Not fake. Could be a by-product of culturing, but genuine freeform freshwaters. They certainly look to be naturals.
)

Hi Blair,

When I saw the photo on e-bay last night, I honestly thought the pearls (displayed on that card) looked familiar........ and sure enough, I have seen them before. Not only on this forum, but at the gem show in Tucson.

I really do not believe these pearls are natural because: (1) at the GLDA show, Mr. Peach displayed GIA certificates for the natural pearls he was selling; (2) The natural pearls were being sold individually, not on a card; (3) Although, I do not remember the price of the pearls sold by the card, I do remember, however, that it was inexpensive (on a per pearl basis) and a good deal.

As a side note, I purchased an almost round 16mm purple pearl from U.S. Pearl. Mr. Peach said that although, he is selling it to me as cultured, he suggested I have it tested; he thought there was a possibility it might be natural. This thread reminded me that I should bring it to the GIA tomorrow. Thanks!

Gail

They certainly were memorable. They were $50.00 a pearl, $5,500 for the sheet. I'm sure the buyer made a better deal - I know I would! ;)

Gail -- good luck with the potential natural! :cool:

EDIT: I forgot that the prices were 50% off the marked price, so that would be $2750.

Such wild shapes! Oh, to be a goldsmith... :rolleyes: I look at that card and could spend months designing brooches and pendants and earrings and... well, the list goes on :cool:

I just want to rephrase for my own benefit:

That is definitely the same card of pearls as immortalized in GemGeek's Tucson reports.

They are not natural Mississippi pearls, if they were, the Peaches would have certifications for each pearl and did have them for the naturals pearls they sell.

Therefore, they are cultured super baroques from China.

They did not sit just in a safe for years, they have been in the collection of the Peaches of US Pearl.

They were bought since GemGeek photographed them in person.

The guy telling the story to the seller is lying.

Is that about it?

Gem Geek talked to the seller who, contrary to the first person "story" he made up, is not the actual seller.

Last edited:
His b-s factor in the ad copy for the pearls attributed ownership and finding them to himself. Now he says he is just selling them for someone else. That's rich. What an excuse; better than the dog ate my homework. It's the "It wasn't me " defense.

Hi Caitlin,

In response to your second point in #12 re: whether they are natural or not.....

I do not know whether the pearls on that card are natural or cultured. I was giving my opinion based on what I saw at the U.S. Pearl booth at the GLDA show. Their booth was HUGH with an incredible amount of pearls for sale. There were several natural pearls displayed, which were accompanied by lab reports, most from the GIA, if I remember correctly, indicating that they were infact natural, and their prices reflected this. There were hundreds of cultured pearls at the U.S. Pearl booth, many selling for hundreds of dollars per pearl. The pearls on e-bay were approx. $25 per pearl.
Based on what I saw, my gut feeling is that, I doubt the pearls on e-bay are natural. This is just my opinion. :eek:

Not to mention but the seller on e-bay seems to be full of ----!

Also, I do not know if the pearls are Chinese.

Gail

Hi Caitlin,

I guess my post #16 was submitted before I read yours in #15 & #13.

The pearls are not on e-bay any longer. It says the bidding has ended!!!!!! :p

Gail

I am glad the ad was taken down.

IMO, if you can find some natural Mississippi freshwaters from the Peaches or the Latendresses, they will never cost $25 per, nor even $50 per pearl!. Maybe per carat. The Peaches know their pearls. They dredge and sell mussel shells and keep the pearls they find for sale.

If those were natural, wild, American pearls, the Peaches wouldn't be selling 110 of them on a card. The Peaches do not sell cheap. So if the price was $2,750 (or less)to move the entire card ,($25 each for 110) then I know they still made a profit.

Just the price factor alone argues against an American origin. Also, I am fairly sure that the typical shape for American mussel pearls is like a tooth or a wing.

One of our non-posting members sent me a Picasa album of photos with almost as many Chinese pearls as on the card. Most of them looked like the ones in the photo. I even posted one thinking it was American freshwater (Jeremy pegged it as Chinese) and took it down when my friend said they were from China. I looked at them long and hard. Did not want to make that mistake again.

Looking at them carefully, I am sure they are keshi- you can see the sticks and stars in some of them.............

Last edited:
Hi Gail
Their booth was HUGE with an incredible amount of pearls
They (US Pearl) have 3 large booths. They sell a LOT of CFWP.
They have a large booth at the Pavillion- same place as Drusy Designs.
They have two motel rooms and spill out into the parking area at the Dayz Inn. They are there every year.
AND they have a huge booth at the GLDA show at the Starpass Marriott Inn.

Someone could probably call and ask them about the pearls on the card, but I'll bet they are CFWP.

Can you imagine being "outed" by the pearl police? ;)

Blaire, YOU GO GIRL!

I hereby make a motion that we change our titles from jr. member, expert, etc. to Rookie, Lieutenant, Captain, etc.! The titles would correspond to the amount of $$ the police expose. Caitlin and I would share top honors with the $60MM from the POA. :) Y'all got some catching up to do! :D

Dr. Tom: Is the POA behind the palace gates in Brunei?

Blaire: Did they glue those "naturals" to the card? That sure is what it looks like from here.

Back