Analysis Paralysis! Help!

pearlseeker1

Hi, I am interested in getting a couple of long (38") strands of pearls, and I cannot decide what direction to go in! To give you a little background info, I love jewelry and I appreciate fine quality. My clothing is very casual most of the time. I wear a lot of long tops over pants. I have an 18" strand of white akoyas that I never wear. I have a SS pendant and a Tahitian pendant that I occasionally wear. So my focus is on getting a few long necklaces. My tendency is to prefer round over baroque, but I think there could be baroques in other colors that I might consider.

My first priority is white since summer is coming up, and I'd like to take advantage of the Mother's Day sales. I am torn between top quality freshwater and high quality akoya. I honestly think I'd be fine with freshwater, because if I go with a $4000 hanadama strand, I'd be conscious of every move I made to protect my pearls (although they'd be wonderful to own, I am sure)! The downside of freshwater is I have the perception that they are not really white in body color, and I'd be wearing them a lot with white in summer. The downside in Akoya is the very thin nacre. Less than 1mm seems like nothing to me!

My other area of conflict is whether to go with 7.5-8mm or 8-8.5mm for the long strands. I would wear larger pearls in 18", but I prefer this size range for a long one.

I'd really appreciate input from those who have experience! Thanks in advance!

Pearlseeker1 I can understand your preference for color, but white pearls have different overtones too which might affect you. Do you prefer silver, pink, or cream overtone? Do you want metallic pearls or just high luster? Have you checked out the blue akoya? They pretty cool too but I dont know if the color is seasonal or not tho.
You can definitely ask pearlparadise to send you photos of different pearl quality you want. If you think that will take too long and you may miss the sale, maybe order two strands and return the one you dont like.

Last edited:
Pearlseeker1 I can understand your preference for color, but white pearls have different overtones too which might affect you. Do you prefer silver, pink, or cream overtone? Do you want metallic pearls or just high luster? Have you checked out the blue akoya? They pretty cool too but I dont know if the color is seasonal or not tho.
You can definitely ask pearlparadise to send you photos of different pearl quality you want. If you think that will take too long and you may miss the sale, maybe order two strands and return the one you dont like.

I want silver overtone, probably. I definitely don't want cream because I want a pearl that appears more white. Since I am ordering a custom size, I really would like to just order one. I have contacted both of those companies but am waiting for more info from one before proceeding.

I adore the blue akoya and would love to have some. I am mostly seeing either Madama or baroque, but I'd maybe like to see some AAA. or something in between those two! But right now, my first priority is white unless I happen to find the right blue akoya...I realize you have to grab some things when you find them.

Thanks for your reply!

There is a price jump at 8mm, so you'd save quite a bit by getting 7.5-8mm rather than larger.

Also, 8.0-8.5mm would be 20-25% larger and heavier than 7.5-8.0mm. For explanation, see this thread:
Comparative pearl sizes-- how much difference does 1mm larger really make?

Since you are concerned about nacre thickness, it seems like freshwaters may be the way to go. Silver overtones will appear whiter against your skin than cream or rose overtones.

Have you considered 36"? That would just be two 18" necklaces combined, and I don't think it would be a custom order-- in which case it would be returnable if you were to decide you prefer akoyas after all.

Last edited:
There is a price jump at 8mm, so you'd save quite a bit by getting 7.5-8mm rather than larger.

Also, 8.0-8.5mm would be 20-25% larger and heavier than 7.5-8.0mm. For explanation, see this thread:
Comparative pearl sizes-- how much difference does 1mm larger really make?

Since you are concerned about nacre thickness, it seems like freshwaters may be the way to go. Silver overtones will appear whiter against your skin than cream or rose overtones.

Have you considered 36"? That would just be two 18" necklaces combined, and I don't think it would be a custom order-- in which case it would be returnable if you were to decide you prefer akoyas after all.

I am all for 7.5-8mm especially for the price! I do think that is what I will order. If I were getting a short strand, I can see going larger. But I am really hoping the 7.5-8 is perfect for the long one! I had first planned on 36", but someone with several long pearl necklaces told me she thought 38 is better. I have other kinds of necklaces in 36, so a 38 will actually hang only 1 inch lower, so I think I'd prefer 38. One of the vendors told me it could be returned but I'd have to pay a restringing fee. So we shall see!

Do you happen to have blue akoyas? I really only want to buy anything during a sale, and it might be awhile before there's another one! But of course, Christmas would be a logical time to get something else, too! I've been searching threads with the blue akoyas and there are many pretty pictures. But I can see that those would be vastly easier to choose in person. But I live very far from these vendors, unfortunately!

I actually do have baroque blue akoyas, which I bought loose some years ago and strung up myself.

Funny you should ask about them as I finally did something entirely different with them just today: I strung them on beading wire, alternating one pearl with 2 small faceted rhodolite garnets, for a total length of about 25". I just wasn't wearing them much before...I think they made me look too washed out (my hair is mostly gray now.)

Someone posted this (post #26) on Pricescope about the 7.5-8.0mm multicolored Freshadama strand she received today (she posted a photo, which will give you an idea of the size):
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...urchase-help—-200-budget.240194/#post-4332040

Last edited:
I actually do have baroque blue akoyas, which I bought loose some years ago and strung up myself.

Funny you should ask about them as I finally did something entirely different with them just today: I strung them on beading wire, alternating one pearl with 2 small faceted rhodolite garnets, for a total length of about 25". I just wasn't wearing them much before...I think they made me look too washed out (my hair is mostly gray now.)

Someone posted this (post #26) on Pricescope about the 7.5-8.0mm multicolored Freshadama strand she received today (she posted a photo, which will give you an idea of the size):
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...urchase-help—-200-budget.240194/#post-4332040

Oh, thank you! It helped to see her white pearls in that strand. They look great! I know color is not always accurate in pictures, but I am hopeful about maybe getting white freshwaters. I really want a great baroque strand of blue akoyas, too. I've sent a couple of emails asking about those. On principle, I only like to buy when there are sales! Of course, I realize when they offer something special, one might have to buy at the moment or miss out.

I envy those of you who can restring and create new pieces! I'll be doing well to send mine for restringing when needed!

Do you have the same name over there or a different name?

Have you considered tin cup or station necklaces. You could have several created for the price of one strand of pearls. That way you could have a selection.

Yes! I definitely would consider tin-cups for alternative necklaces! I just want to begin with an all pearl necklace!

Excellent advice all around ! I agree with the 7.5-8 to save money..especially with such a long necklace. As for the length.. I'd be tempted to try a 36 that is not custom in the colour and size you want. That way you can return it without cost and get one made the length you desire. But there is a good chance that it will suit you and you'll save money and hassle of returning it and having a custom order done.

The length of a rope can depend on your size. For me, being larger, I need the extra couple of inches to get the doubled length right. But if someone was tiny then the longer length might not suit when worn as a rope or doubled.

Try the 36.. you may even decide that you like the 36 but want 8-8.5 . Good luck and keep us posted !

Back