An Antique Necklace Said to be from 1820

Nora

Art historian and devout NCN
Sabina, a friend from Krak?w, brought my attention to this necklace. I?m sure it will arouse interest.
According to a certificate with the necklace, it is made up of about five thusand natural pearls in 15 strands.
The clasp is tested 15 carat gold, 2 cm. x 1.3 cm.
The original box carries the inscription: Bul. Kraenzlin, Phren & Goldwaren Hdl, Wetzlar
The enclosed certificate for what it's worth, says the pearls are freshwater from England from 1820. the necklace is 40 cm. long, weight 19,370 gr.
The certificate, dated 18.3.1993, is signed by Hannelore H?rle, who died last August in Dusseldorf.

The necklace is selling in Poland for 5.100 USD
http://allegro.pl/naszyjnik-z-perel-naturalnych-a-1820-rok-unikat-i4993269371.html

4993269371_1.jpg d237aba450e11711b79e222c4eea0ee7.jpg 4993269371.jpeg

If I had the $$$$, I'd buy it. Lovely.
I'd put my own kids hair in it though, or if I felt that'd be bad luck, as they're still alive thank God, I'd put something else in the locket

Last edited:
I've always loved the tiny pearls, multi-strand necklaces like this, and it seems to be in very good condition for its age. I'm not clear how they arrived at 1820, which would make the piece nearly 200 years old. Is that supposed to be the original box? I couldn't tell enough from the auction site photos either. But kudos to whomever drilled all those tiny pearls! So wish I could examine this in person! Many thanks, Nora, for bringing this lovely necklace to our attention!

Thanks for your comments, Patty. I was surprised so few related to this post. I expected more from the natural pearl fans.
The auction says it is the original box from Wetzlar, Germany (home of Leica cameras).
I tried to find more about this inscription: Bul. Kraenzlin, Phren & Goldwaren Hdl, but with no luck, - it must be old??..
Although the ?certificate? from 1993 says freshwater, I was wondering if these pearl could be saltwater from the way they look and since the drilling of small pearls is an Indian speciality.

bee062582ba5201189cdde6829e4c3f8.jpg

68010962b32b491e52740876fd1d7dc2.jpg

55c051753bd04a9b70eca7095549f29f.jpg

I think it's LOVELY, Nora ... and thanks for the close-ups :)

I'm hoping our KiwiPaul will stop by for a look at this one. He's one of our most knowledgeable experts on antique pearls. Looks like he's been away from the forum for over a month.

Nora, I do think about that labor intensive method of drilling these tiny pearls every time an antique necklace with thousands of pearls are shown. And I wish there was more info about the clasp.

There have been some distractions around here this week, and I find occasionally a post doesn't show up as "new" so gets buried in a hurry.

Is this an auction or an outright sale?

This is a beauty, Nora! (and I just saw this post for the first time too)

at the moment victorian and edwardian mourning pieces like this show up quite often in auctions think because of the human hair and being a mourning piece people don't really put them on and sell them

England had quite some pearls and where also plundering the rest of the world in that time so its never sure they are british / Scottish river pearls but they do had enough of them those days

4700 dm is around 2900 usd payed in 1993

I think it's International Kraenzlin
Ohren (that's earrings) , gelbwahrende(n)(gold-work or -ware?)
and
Wetslar? Guessing watches(?)

corrections, anyone with good eyes, good translation?

Last edited:
That's an amazing piece! I'm with you, Nora...I'd say they're saltwater from India, in what would have been the 'English' colonies. I think also the date is round about right.

A little while ago I had to rethread just one row of a four-row necklace similar to this (customer had bought to give to his wife for their wedding, and getting it out of the box two days before the wedding, he caught it and broke a string!). I had to do it on the day, and ended up having osteopath treatment for months!

That's an amazing piece! I'm with you, Nora...I'd say they're saltwater from India, in what would have been the 'English' colonies. I think also the date is round about right.

A little while ago I had to rethread just one row of a four-row necklace similar to this (customer had bought to give to his wife for their wedding, and getting it out of the box two days before the wedding, he caught it and broke a string!). I had to do it on the day, and ended up having osteopath treatment for months!

Helen, Certainly appreciate your insights on this one! Oh my, I can barely imagine the restringing task you had! I've arthritis in knuckles myself, no fun.

Back