AGTA News - "Chinese/Baby Akoya" are Actually Nucleated FWPs!

Thanks for sharing the article, Douglas! A big reason for making pearl purchases through reputable sources, unless it’s not of personal importance. When I was visiting Takahashi Pearl in Kobe this fall, Mr. Seki showed me some baby freshwater he had purchased out of curiosity to compare with their baby Akoya. It’s so difficult to discern anymore… (the top 4 white strands are baby Akoya.
IMG_2494.jpeg

The American Gem Trade Association just came out with a News Report about some nucleated freshwater -known as "Edison"- pearls being passed off as "Baby Akoya Pearls" (gotta love the name!), misrepresenting them as saltwater Akoya pearls.

Since the article's content cannot be shared (not even a bit!) I will just add the link HERE so you may read the entirety of the text.
I thought that Hyriopsis cumingii was a freshwater mussel species, not an oyster…
Very interesting article. Buyer beware!

Last edited:
They've been around for a couple of years or so. It's another Grace thing, along with dyed pretend Tahitians, mostly around 10mm (which look quite good from a distance, well matched strands with even some peacock-ery). (plus of course the dyed gold south seas and the dyed purples

Back