Advice regarding pearl purchase..

Wow! They are gorgeous! (and your pictures look just like my strand does IRL). So pretty on you! Congratulations! Your WSS/GSS strand is beautiful too. I hope you like them both.

Beautiful pearls. Thank you so much for the pictures. They look wonderful on you.

Both strands are gorgeous -- and so different from each other. You must be thrilled.

Enjoy and wear your new pieces in health.

I'd love to see tons more pictures, if you're up for it!

From your first question to these lovely strands - what an adventure! They are both dreams come true. :)

Both are wonderful strands! I love them both, gorgeous colours and luster.

Thankyou everyone for your advice and help deciding. And for the compliments! I was a bit unsure about the SS strand, the individual pearls are beautiful with a gorgeous lustre, but I felt the largest centre pearl was a bit out of place. It's grown on me now & I like its character! I also figure that if it really bugs me in a few years I could get it restrung minus that one. That tahitian strand though exceeded my expectations. I'm so glad it's long as I can look at the pearls myself while wearing it!

What a fun decision to make! I'd ask for pictures of a few pairs of each -- and then I'd post them here. We'll be more than happy to chime in!!!

No photos I'm afraid! Actually managed to get to our city's better pearl shop yesterday, took a couple of photos but they are truly terrible (iPhone with artificial light). The chance of me getting back there are zero, they put the details of each pair I picked on file so when I decide they can post them out to me. In short, golds are 10.8 mm, med-deep gold, beautiful lustre. Whites are 11.2 mm, white-ivory with the most subtle greenish overtone (could only see this when assistant told me and put it next to a pink overtone), lovely lustre a smidgen less than the golds. Both sets round, Golds 2x cost of whites. Aargh… but boy am I lucky to have this dilemma!

Well, Peonyrose, you could get both the white and the gold earrings, and when you're feeling adventurous, wear one of each as a mis-matched on purpose set ... very fashionable these days. All joking aside, that white and gold strand is so lovely, and either color earring would work. White will go with lots of other pearls, gold maybe not so much but more unique ... not much help, I'm afraid :)

It all helps! I think the white actually suits my skin tone a lot better, it's just that the golds were such lovely pearls! The silly thing is, I wouldn't really be able to look at them if they are on my ears…

With that necklace, I could picture a white stud earring, with a gold drop hanging from it ... that way the white is against your skin ... and if the gold drop were a jacket style so you could remove it and wear the studs alone ...

Can you do that with shops in Australia, Katbran? And with earrings? Be surprised if bricks and mortar will accept returns , esp earrings.

Can't return pierced earrings here as far as I know .. you also can't try them on in a store. Health rules because of blood born diseases and staph etc. I wasn't sure about the rules in the UK but it's an excellent point Wendy...if I sold earrings I'd have thought of it myself !! But I don't .. and I didn't :p

If you cannot return them in the UK - better make time to go in and try them on...

Last edited:
No, I DID manage to go to the shop, and I did try them on! It's just getting back there for a second look is impossible. After sleeping on it I think I'll go the white, as I said I think it was that the gold pearls were just so lovely in themselves but not necessarily the best match for my skin tone. I'm not sure in Australia about sending things out and back again, whether it's earrings or not. Customer service is different here. At least I've never heard of people doing that here. I think you have to buy the item first, but can return if you don't want it if it's not on sale. Some places you can't do that either, it's only a return if the product is faulty. The actual service at this shop though was wonderful!

Back