Acidity of the skin

KarinK

Hi,

I have seen mentioned several times that the acidity of your skin is a factor in how fast the nacra will wear off pearls. I was wondering if this acidity is what wears down gilded items faster or slower?

If that is the case I better stick to all nacra freshwater pearls, because I'll wear off any kind of gold layer on other metal in about a week.

- Karin

Hi,

I have seen mentioned several times that the acidity of your skin is a factor in how fast the nacra will wear off pearls. I was wondering if this acidity is what wears down gilded items faster or slower?

If that is the case I better stick to all nacra freshwater pearls, because I'll wear off any kind of gold layer on other metal in about a week.

- Karin

I'm like you - I seem to instantly vaporize the gold plating off vermeil...even from dangle earrings! Happily, my body chemistry seems to have no adverse affect on pearls, though.

Sheri

Ugh- me too. Just always remember to wipe your jewelry down after wear and hopefully you'll squeak by!

I've been thinking about adding alkaline to my water to try and re-balance my Ph- does anyone know if that works?

I have actually found that I am an excellent test person for gold filled items for the jewelry I was making last year. In one week I reduce any gold filled item to the state that would take a customer at least 6 months to reach - making sure I knew what I was selling :)

I am very glad to hear that it is not likely to influence my future pearls, though.

- Karin

Back