Abalone Pearl found

Jon

Hi
my 13 yo daughter recently found this pearl in an abalone, whilst snorkelling
Species found in: blacklip abalone (Haliotis rubra).
Found: east coast of Australia (New South Wales)

We took it to a local jeweller (bearing in mind that we live in a semi-rural area!), and they seemed to think it wasn't worth much. They said it was very common, and not a very good shape.... any feedback?

Have attached some pics below.
Thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Michelle

Hi Jeremy,
thanks for your prompt reply. Shall post a photo of other side (but in the morning, as it's getting late here! past midnight!).
The other side does have a small "hole" in it, but you will see that in the photo.
Thanks again.
Cheers,
Michelle

That's a beautiful pearl, and huge. I'm no expert on abalone pearls but I agree, the local jeweller is probably totally wrong. Clever to keep the shell too - that's provenance.
There are abalone experts in this forum who will be able to say more, I'm sure.

prices are always hard for abalone pearl i have been buying them quite often but they do always have a value ( hundreds not thousands )

this pearl has a shape that is great for jewelry out of all the abalone pearls i got maybe 10 % has shapes that are actually useful for jewelry so thats a plus about this piece

besides value etc i can only advise to make a ring or pendant out of it i think the story of finding it herself makes it quite a story teller to have as a jewelry piece

If the hole already existed before removing the pearl, there could be a critter inside. Beautiful pearl! :)

A beautiful find, a beautiful pearl, and a beautiful daughter to wear that pearl, perhaps on her wedding day in the future ... doesn't get any better than that :)

Hey, if they are so common, find some more! not too likely. That is a very valuable pearl, but I hope you don't try to sell it! good going!

Thanks for the replies, it's much appreciated.

Here's a pic of the not so nice back, as well as an underwater pic of when she found the ab! (We were actually testing out a new camera, as her old one had flooded on a previous snorkell trip!).

I'm pretty sure there's no way she would want to sell it, as she's a marine addict, though curious as to what it may be worth.

I'm not sure if it matters, but the oyster wasn't removed from the shell, but found loose inside.

Cheers,
Michelle

I'm not sure if it matters, but the oyster wasn't removed from the shell, but found loose inside.

I don't quite follow. Does this mean that the shell she is holding is not the shell is came out of?

With the wrinkled surface and the hole in the back you would still be looking at a $1000 pearl (if sold to a dealer). If the surface were smooth and the back had no hole, three to four times as much.

These are not common at all and the shape is not bad at all. Most abalone pearls are more of a horn shape. This shape is more rare.

really beautiful pearl, what a find! I'd have a necklace like this made (props to ten thousand things for the awesome design):

Attachments

• ttt neck.jpg
    ttt neck.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 43
Apologies for poor explanation. What I meant to say was that the pearl comes from the abalone shell you can see in the pics (both the underwater picture, and the picture of my daughter holding shell and pearl).
It was not a blister pearl, but was under the meat of the abalone ("loose"?). We didn't have to extract the meat to get the pearl out - she just pulled it out from under the "lips" (not sure if that is correct term!).
Michelle

Thanks so much to everyone for their help and kind comments. I haven't had a chance to have a good look at the whole site yet. Is there a section for jewellery suggestions?

My daughter is keen to get back out. Our bag limit here is two abalone, per person, per day, and the weather at the moment is poor, so she may be waiting for a companion piece for awhile!!!

Michelle

I can't see the photos? I'd love to see the pearl! Lucky daughter!

Gee, the pix are from photo bucket and we already lost them. Would you mind reposting them? That was actually a historic moment and deserves to be immortalized in this thread!

Back