Abalone Anomalies--Berry Blisters, etc.

J Marcus

Say "Abalone Anomalies" 10 times in a row as fast as you can!
OK, couldn't resist.

As I mentioned at the end of the "Abalone Gone Buggy" thread, I've found some very interesting oddities in some of my abalones. When I've come across these in the past, I've usually set them aside to look at in the future, but hadn't given them a close examination or much thought. In cleaning and examining them to photo, I began to notice some interesting things about some of them. I've begun to search through all my stock of cut out blisters and shells and am finding more anomalies leading to more questions. I've come across at least two classes of solid blisters and maybe more. It may take me a while to photo, post and attempt to analyse these so it's not going to happen all in one posting or even one day.

When I first laid eyes on this first one it brought back a very clear memory of one very much like it that I had seen when but a young lad. It was in a piece of vintage jewelry, perhaps even my mothers' though I didn't see it when we went through her things after she passed away--maybe one of my aunts or even of my grandmother. It made an impression on me, that's for sure.

This first one I purchased from a local man who does a lot of inlay work with abalone shell. He cut it out and finished it himself and not the way that I would have done it at all, but still, I was glad to have it and he may have accidently exposed some of the answer to how these came about. The cluster measures 14mm X 10.3mm and the largest "bump" measures 6.5mm X 5mm. The back is the natural, original shell. The little ring you may see on it is glue that he used to attach it to a dop stick.

J Marcus
http://flyrodjewelry.com/home.html

Attachments

• BerrBlist-top-1a.jpg
    BerrBlist-top-1a.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 33
  • BerrBlist-side-1c.jpg
    BerrBlist-side-1c.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 33
  • BerrBlist-bottom-1d.jpg
    BerrBlist-bottom-1d.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 32