A new type of freshwater pearl on the horizon

jshepherd

While in Hong Kong last week there was quite a bit of talk about a new kind of freshwater pearl being grown. It's still in the experimental stage, but they have succeeded in producing a small amount. Commercial production won't be available until late 2018, but this very likely could be a game changer for smaller freshwater pearls.

These pearls are are a sample of what is to come. They are small - none are larger than 7 mm. They are "raw material," which means they are straight out of the shell. They've had no processing done to them whatsoever.

But who can guess what makes them so special? I think someone here should be able to figure it out. :confused:

New FW.jpg

Nucleus made from another pearl, maybe FW keshi?

Nuked small freshwater pearls? I thought I saw Pearlescence had something like that but the pearls were 8 mm.

Jeremy, this is very exciting news! Now, you didn't say they are Chinese freshwater pearls, so is it possible that these are being produced somewhere else in the world?

I too wondered as to whether there is a small bead as there are a lot of round ones. Are they weeny teeny Edisons ? lol
Yep :) They are tiny Edisons. They have never been produced in this small a size before because they are grown in the reproductive organ like marine pearls. That means most shells only produce a single pearl and since raw pearls are sold by weight, farmers produced the largest pearls they were able to.

A new technique was developed to grow ten of these in a single shell. That makes growing small pearls economically feasible. The farm that is growing these will only produce a few hundred kilo this year. Next year the plan to have more of a commercial production.

Understanding how rare, think easily one in 10,000, a true round, tissue-nuke pearl is shows why this has the potential to be a game changer.

Attachments

• Mini Edisons.jpg
    Mini Edisons.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 36
Back