A new type of freshwater pearl on the horizon

What a great thread! It's fun to get the insider's perspective, way before the public even knows it's in the works.

This may be a total noob question, but what does this mean for anyone buying FWPs, if and when these hit the commercial market? Specifically, is it possible to tell the difference between a perfectly round all-nacre FWP and one of these new smaller Edisons, without cutting them open? The large Edisons are so big and so perfect, it is more obvious what they are (in my opinion), while these smaller ones could be really beautiful all nacre FWPs (maybe?)...

It may definitely mean the beginning of the end for all-nacre FWP. We will have to wait and see what commercial production looks like.

Do you think this will drive a price difference between the all-nacre and Edison's?

Oh man time to stock up...

Is Purranha right about this? I realize it is total speculation at the moment, but I am curious to what the experts think.

The method they are using to grow them is different, so I suspect one will be able to distinguish them from all-nacre freshwater. In the beginning, I also suspect they will be quite a bit more expensive than all-nacre, so vendors in Asia won't have a reason not to disclose.

There was a lot of talk about this new type of pearl at the show last month but the few available samples were only really for show. There might be some strands available by the end of the year, but we are still two years out from any sort of commercial production. This information comes from the president of the Hong Kong Pearl Association.

Zoe,

I'm just a buyer, but I tend to think all-nacre FWP will be less desirable to consumers and farmers in the future. (I am not speaking of collectors here.)

For consumers, because all-nacre pearls are mostly not perfectly round.

For farmers, because an all-nacre pearl has to stay in the water several years longer to reach the same size as a bead-nucleated pearl. All that time the mussel has to be fed, and the longer it's in the water, the longer it is vulnerable to the effects of storms, etc. It seems to me that getting a pearl harvested faster is usually preferable from a risk-management point of view. (Am I right about that, Jeremy?)

Stocking up for what reason? Cultured pearls are not an investment item. I'd say, as a consumer, buy them if you love them, but don't buy more than you want to actually wear, because I don't see pre-owned cultured FWP as something you could make a profit on at some future date. There are too many of them out there!! (Are people making a killing on selling rice krispie pearls?)

I completely agree. I can definitely see beaded replacing all nacre in the not-too-distant future. Round all-nacre freshwater pearls are extraordinarily rare. It's something like one in 10,000 pearls produced. They are likewise very expensive.

We made a video last month that shows how we make strands of real rounds. Even these pearls will have some slight deviations because there is no bead.

Thank you for the answers!

I suppose I was speaking specifically to those incredibly rare, perfectly round, all-nacre FWPs as compared to the new Edisons... I realize that it may be a totally moot question, as I personally do not own any perfectly round FWPs, nor do I forsee the immediate need to purchase them in bulk or in any other fashion... I was just wondering if down the line, when more of these are produced, would it be possible to feel or see the difference between a 1 in 1,000,000 perfectly round FWP and an Edison pearl? I am not sure I have even actually held an Edison pearl in my hand, so I am speaking from zero experience in this realm. I am just curious if there are any other indicators other than the typical off round shape of FWPs...

As for stocking up on FWPs in bulk... I was mostly kidding. My mother already did that, and we are still trying to put them to use/ sell (some of) them a decade later. :p

Love the video, Jeremy! You and Hisano are just too freaking cute, and a serious power couple. It's great to see the two of you in action! #relationshipgoals <3 :eek:

Back