A little honesty in Pearl Farming is in order

Mikeyy

Pearl Diver
Being in the U.S. nuclei and mussel shell trade since 1969 I think I am qualified to point out some bad practices that have taken hold in recent years. In order to save a few bucks some farmers have taken to using inferior nuclei made from all sorts of odd shells. I have been approached by pearl dealers who have asked me why they have seen an increase in cracking and splitting pearls, in chipping around the drill holes. They want to know why their drill bits are getting so hot and going dull so quickly. Or why some pearls are just so damn hard to drill. Well, it's because some farmers in the misguided idea of saving a few dollars have been putting poor quality nuclei in their oysters like the Tridacna (giant clam) shell and the harder and more brittle Chinese freshwater shell varieties. Often these products are processed and bleached with chemicals to give them a better color. The farmers have a lower retention and quality rate and the end users have issues with drilling and for what? What a farmer gains from saving a few dollars on nuclei they lose in the back end. Some farmers in the south seas that I won’t name have come to this realization and have returned to using the U.S. nuclei. The same goes for Japan. I would suggest to those who believe that they are buying nuclei that they are being told is American shell nuclei ask their suppliers for proof of origin of their shells. They should have papers to show of where the shell comes from. It’s hard to ship a container from Los Angeles to Guangzhou without an invoice. If I am going to tend to an oyster for a year and a half I would sure like to know what I have put into that animal. The nuclei can look very similar but looks aren’t everything. I get ads sent to me from Alibaba with companies claiming American shell nuclei. They say that because they understand the value of saying so but I can almost guaranty you it’s not what they claim. I have been to these factories and they couldn't produce a American shell anytime I have been there. Yet they claimed thats what their product was made of. Just thought I’d share some advice.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the nuclei trade, Mikeyy. Coming from a pro like yourself, of course it was very informative and gave an insight into what is happening. Honesty is as important in this line as anywhere else, and I do hope your message gets across somehow to those that are indulging in dishonest practices. Dishonest methods in business make me sad for humankind.

...Some farmers in the south seas that I won’t name have come to this realization and have returned to using the U.S. nuclei. The same goes for Japan...
Good for them! However and due to the spirit of competition, I would just hope that said competition will not read this thread and will continue to purchase nuclei from other suppliers...

Now may I ask what is your reaction to this: "New developments in cultured pearl production: use of organic and baroque shell nuclei"

Cultured pearls can be produced both with and without a nucleus. Marine pearl oysters that produce Akoya, South Sea and
Tahitian cultured pearls typically use nuclei for their pearl products. The nucleus material used for these beaded cultured pearls is
traditionally from freshwater Mississippi mussels. In recent years, there have been a number of attempts to use alternative pearl
and shell materials as nuclei. This includes different types of shells, Bironite, laminated/powdered shell, freshwater cultured pearls
and even natural pearls. The most recent development, detailed in this article, is the use of organic nuclei for the production of
2nd generation beaded baroque cultured pearls. Pearls cultured in this way first appeared on the market at the 2012 BaselWorld
show. This paper examines how these pearls are linked to this new type of nucleus, how it is used in the pearl farming process, and
details a gemmological study of the different generations of final pearl products.

HD 002HD 003

Last edited:
Good for them! However and due to the spirit of competition, I would just hope that said competition will not read this thread and will continue to purchase nuclei from other suppliers...

Now may I ask what is your reaction to this: "New developments in cultured pearl production: use of organic and baroque shell nuclei"

I would say that everything old is new again. :) I would first like to know what is meant by "Organic Nuclei". That seems a fairly wide ranging term. I have seen dolomite to mud used to grow baroque pearls. Both could be called "Organic" if you want to be technical. I think for a pearl producer the goal in the end is retention, quality and uniformity. In the 80’s and through most of the 90’s U.S. nuclei prices were at a premium. Prices were several times what they are today. This was the reason for the development of many of the creative alternatives mentioned in your post. I have seen ceramics, plastics, compressed shell composite, you name it. None every produced the quality with regularity that U.S. nuclei has throughout. When you consider the fact that the cost for American nuclei has dropped significantly since the days of wild fluctuations there really isn’t any point in chasing some inferior product to save a negligible amount investment. The cost of a high quality nucleus is a tiny fraction of the value of the finished product. What I always come back to is this. Caring for oysters is hard work. There are so many variables to deal with from tiny parasites to typhoons. The farmers I know are dedicated to what they do and like any type of farmer they take pride in and survive by the results of their harvest. With that in mind and knowing that the nucleus is the heart of your harvest why would any dedicated farmer use an inferior seed? With the number of issues a pearl farmer has to negotiate at least there is one thing they don’t need to stress. American shell nuclei.

Well I was puzzled by this "organic" as well, they have an organized physical structure and are are derived from living matter... More than that is sadly unknown.
It is made reference to a gel like capacity, hence a variable volume based on water content.

The authors were presented with samples of a new type of pearl product from French Polynesia by a pearl trader during the 2012 BaselWorld show.
This is the only information I got regarding their origin.

The studied organic nuclei were produced by Imai Seikaku Co. Ltd. (Awaji Island, Japan).
They have similar properties to super absorbent polymer (SAP) spheres: they absorb surrounding liquid and grow.
Initially compact, the nuclei become soft and gelatinous (see Figure 4). The nuclei are coated with a thin film, which makes them compatible with the oyster’s tissue. As with regular nuclei, they also include a bio-coating that consists of fibronectins (FNC- , Patent No. 62309272). Fibronectins found in the bio-coating favour the healing process in the oyster after the surgical operation of saibo and nucleus insertion.

That is all I got regarding their composition and alleged properties.

Well I was puzzled by this "organic" as well, they have an organized physical structure and are are derived from living matter... More than that is sadly unknown.
It is made reference to a gel like capacity, hence a variable volume based on water content.

This is the only information I got regarding their origin.

That is all I got regarding their composition and alleged properties.

Yes, I would say there is a fair bit of exaggeration taking place in this story line. They even claim to supply 17 countries with pearl nucleus. That’s quite a feat. They must do it very quietly. ;)

Some things never change, but you never know about nuclei. A newer, better, artificial nucleus might be aound the corner. Or not! :)

Practically speaking, anything can be a pearl nucleus. It does not matter if it is the illegal tridacna, bironite, ceramic, or whatever. The whole problem with this "honesty" business can all be related to the human issues.

While I try not to point at any particular groups here, we've got human variables such as
- giant pearl associations that control the pearl industry
- pearl associations that control the cash flow amongst the farmers in order to get a huge profit
- shortsightedness in the business practices
- global economic status
- lack of education and awareness, thus leading only to looking at $$$ as the only variable

It is a dilemma, but pearl nucleus is completely understudied and only a handful of people truly appreciate what a good pearl nucleus can do. Furthermore, because of globalization and information technologies, the traditional model of the pearl industry is outdated. Pearl itself also has a huge limitation in terms of introducing technologies to prevent counterfeit or traceability. Because of this, younger generations who are trying to enter this beautiful industry are plagued and stuck with the old model, unable to move on.

Mikimoto managed to combine pearl cultivation and pearl marketing together over a century ago, and pearl giants shaped those glorious days of selling three pearls can get you a Mercedes-Benz. And now, we see a pearl industry that is sinking, because of the competition, environment and economics. Now, the whole pearl industry has been on a reactive side, and the public knowledge of a pearl is still at its immature level, that is, the five virtues of a pearl.

Pearl-guide is definitely a very good resource for the pearl stuff. As each pearl product starts from the pearl, thus the pearl farm, and then again from the nucleus. Something has to be done. Just like GemGeek said, perhaps a newer and better nucleus would come out (I'll leave the artificial part open for now).

I think the development of a new form of nucleus is only valid if it leads to major improvements since China pushes the cost of even large pearls down and most of the public mainly cares about the price. Fibronectin is not very innovative as a biocoat as every Cell Biologist would put that on top of a list together with collagen or laminin. Research has been published, so I have some doubts about patent claims. And what does a patent help if China does simply copy and paste?

Having said this, biocoating is a fascinating topic. I can see the development of an artificial nucleus simply as a means to better deliver agents that help improve the success rate and speed up nacre secretion and processing. Not really for the sake of costs. The science would be there probably. Farmers would just have to talk to bioengineers. There is a lot going on in tissue/wound engineering and regeneration, which essentially pearl growing is.

Pearl-researcher,
Welcome.
I always love it when someone like you comes over here and makes such an intelligent post about what is/could become a major problem. I hope I'm not the only one who gave that post a star! And I hope you have more ideas up your sleeve.

They have synthesized something resembling abalone nacre, so if the R&D is done, they could do the same for the clam or oyster shell nuclei, right? Or find a way to synthesize around better powdered clam shell, not just a glue.

That's the reason why I now refuse to drill any Tahitian pearl, I faced some problems such as circles appearing on the pearl nacre after drilling.
I only drill "my" pearls that I only got from Josh.
producing nuclei from the same shells that produce the pearls, isn't the best solution?

Hi there, any feedback on Bio-Nuclei?

I think the development of a new form of nucleus is only valid if it leads to major improvements since China pushes the cost of even large pearls down and most of the public mainly cares about the price. Fibronectin is not very innovative as a biocoat as every Cell Biologist would put that on top of a list together with collagen or laminin. Research has been published, so I have some doubts about patent claims. And what does a patent help if China does simply copy and paste?

Having said this, biocoating is a fascinating topic. I can see the development of an artificial nucleus simply as a means to better deliver agents that help improve the success rate and speed up nacre secretion and processing. Not really for the sake of costs. The science would be there probably. Farmers would just have to talk to bioengineers. There is a lot going on in tissue/wound engineering and regeneration, which essentially pearl growing is.

Back